We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Conditioning in Hilo in April

Centennial, Colorado
Level Contributor
20 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Air Conditioning in Hilo in April

I noticed some B&Bs in Hilo like the Old Hawaiin which people recommend on here don't have A/C. Is this a concern particularly in April? I'm also staying in Mountain View - don't know if that'll be cooler because of the elevation.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,683 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Conditioning in Hilo in April

Mountainview will indeed be cooler due to the elevation. In April, I would expect a high likelihood of rain there. Mountainview is wet in general. I'm hoping this isn't bad news and that your lodgings mention rain forest setting or suchlike.

The only time the heat seems really uncomfortable here in Hilo, to my mind, is high summer. We don't have A/C, nor would we run it.

Homes in Hawaii aren't insulated (as a rule), so unless you're talking about a concrete block or otherwise sealed type building (hotel or condo), it's simply too expensive to run A/C. Our electric bill is over $300 a month without A/C so I shudder to think what it would cost.

The point being, these B&B's would have to charge more if the rooms had A/C, a lot more. If homes are built properly for the island, they catch breezes and fans and natural ventilation do the trick.

April is a very nice month with respect to temperature, but it has the potential to be wet. It's not predictable though, the rain showers come and go and when you're traveling through, it's pretty much luck of the draw what you hit. Just be prepared so you aren't bummed out if you hit a rainy period. Hawaii is beautiful in the rain too.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Conditioning in Hilo in April

Well said KK. I would agree on all counts. :)

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Conditioning in Hilo in April

A/C?! What's that? :) Seriously, I have lived in Kona for 16 years and I have never ever used an A/C at home. A few good fans do the trick indoors and I basically live on the lanai just like most everyone else anyway.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,683 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Conditioning in Hilo in April

It's so hot here today you guys, I actually wish it would rain.

What's it like in Kona, TT? I'm going to K-K tomorrow, has it been sweltering there too?

*wishes it were April and not mid-July*