We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Logding ideas for day of red-eye return flight

Arizona
Level Contributor
32 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Logding ideas for day of red-eye return flight

Hello. My wife and I will be visiting the Big Island next week for 6 nights. We're staying at the Hapuna Prince based on recommendations from you helpful folks.

Our return flight from Kona Airport departs at 11:45 PM on a Wednesday. We're trying to figure out how to spend our last (almost) full day in Hawaii before arriving at the airport around 9:30 PM for our flight home.

The Hapuna Prince can't confirm a late check-out for us until the day before we're leaving. And even if it's avaialble, I'm not sure how late of a check-out we'll be able to get. A 2pm check-out won't be of much help, since we'll still have 7+ hours to kill. A 6pm checkout would be good, but who knows what they be able to offer. Storing our luggage at the resort is an option, but probably limits our last-day activities to things nearby the resort.

As a back-up plan, I'm wondering if there are any recommended hotels closer to Kona airport that would be OK for a half-day stay prior to our 11:45PM departure. Doesn't have to be fancy, just clean and "affordable" for a less-than-overnight stay. I found an unnamed 4* property on Hotwire that was ~$131, but after taxes and resort fee it priced out at $180+, which is a bit steep for a 6 hour stay.

I guess we're just not used to the red-eye thing and want to avoid carrying around our luggage in the car that day. Just looking for a room to crash for a few hours, store our luggage, and take a shower before heading off to the airport. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,138 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Logding ideas for day of red-eye return flight

There's nothing really close to the Kona airport except the Four Seasons. Basically you have the Kohala resorts 30-45 minutes north or Kailua Kona 15-20 minutes south. Any decent hotel even in Kailua Kona will probably run you $150/nt, like the Courtyard Marriott.

If you can't book another night at the Prince, what I always suggest people do on their last day is hang out at Kukio and Kikaua Point, which is a great beach area a few minutes from the airport. It has showers and decent restrooms and is also adjacent to the Four Seasons which is a nice resort area for a walk and drinks or even dinner before flying out. The area has a lot to do, from snorkeling to shoreline hikes, turtle watching, fishponds. It is a secure area so you don't need to worry about luggage in the car.

You could also take the late check out at the Prince or if they don't have one available, have them store your luggage and spend the day at the beach or pool there and then they'll let you use the spa or golf facilities to shower and change.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Logding ideas for day of red-eye return flight

Without hesitation, I would recommend an extra night at Hapuna. Many folks now do this, in order to facilitate some semblance to their last day. Moving hotels is kinda a pain for a few extra dollars, plus you are now waiting to check-in. It negates the convenience and comfort of staying put.

We now always pay through to the next day for those evening flights....anything past 6 p.m. actually. You have virtually 12long hours before the flight departs, and you straggle aboard for the long brutal flight home. .......not a great way to end a Trip.

With our accommodation booked through to the next day....we can lay low, swim, shower, dine, nap all the while keeping our vulnerable valuables secure

Packing up once and at our own pace..

.It is one of the easiest choices...and chalk it up to all part of the vacation expense.

LA
Level Contributor
9,928 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Logding ideas for day of red-eye return flight

I second this option.

Kona
Level Contributor
2,418 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Logding ideas for day of red-eye return flight

Booking an extra night is definitely the best way to go if possible! You won't regret making that investment in a smooth last day. . . but Shea's alternative of hanging out at Kukio is also an good option.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,978 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Logding ideas for day of red-eye return flight

Third, unless it is some horrendous amount of money.

Hotels donʻt do half day stays here, so that doesnʻt work.

In the alternative, a hotel like Hapuna really will let you feel like a guest on your departure day, so you have a chance to get plenty of sun and pool and then shower if you get a late check-out. There might be a place to take a shower later, ask.

You can always leave your bags with them and drive north or hang at another resort like Mauna Kea until you are ready to head for the airport and check your bags the four hours in advance and go hang at the Four Seasons.

Obviously it would be nicer to have a room, but you can make it work. It is no big deal to drive back into the Prince and pick up bags at the bell station.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,984 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Logding ideas for day of red-eye return flight

With a flight that late, I agree with the others - if you can afford an extra night at the Prince, I would book it. It will be money well spent for all the reasons that Wanderlust mentions. When we do this, I feel like I've gained an extra day out of the vacation - when we don't do it, it's a long, inconvenient day and not a fun way to end a vacation.

I don't think the option of checking out of the Prince and into another hotel at 3 p.m. will be nearly as enjoyable as just staying put at the Prince for that day.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,138 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Logding ideas for day of red-eye return flight

I dunno, while ideally sure you'll book through an extra night, I've many a time, including at the Prince, just stayed on property after checking out until late in the day and into the evening, and like KK says except for not having a room you're treated just like a guest and have access to everything, including as I mentioned, several shower and changing options. I just plan it as a beach/resort day. Spend some of the money you'll save on a nice last evening dinner. I do agree with the others that checking into another hotel doesn't seem like a good use of time or money.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,978 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Logding ideas for day of red-eye return flight

Yes, unless you need to sleep, in a bed, you have a place. The only other thing you can't do after checkout is sign charges to your room, but that is unimportant. I have done this on one night stays. After several nights there, the staff will know you and they will treat you well. It's not like 12 noon rolls around and the hospitality is over.

My all time best was with the Sheraton at Tahiti where we rolled in at 3 am from one of those weird flights, checked out the next morning and went to Moo'rea for a night but left our main bags from a 3 week trip, came back 30 hours later to get bags and they let us spend the whole evening in their bar and pool waiting for a 1 AM flight. A good hotel understands the red eye flight syndrome.

Arizona
Level Contributor
32 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Logding ideas for day of red-eye return flight

Hello everyone and thanks for the feedback/suggestions.

I called the Hapuna Prince front desk and received much more information about their late check-out options. (Originally I emailed them to ask the same questions but received only a short response with few details.)

It turns out they have several late check-out options: a) turn in bags at 12 noon and stay at the property with full access to facilities, b) complimentary late check-out at 2pm provided our room isn't booked on our check-out day, c) late checkout until 6pm in an available room (either our original room, or another if our room is booked that day) for a reasonable fee, or d) late checkout after 6pm for a higher fee (but still cheaper that what we were looking at for another hotel).

So it sounds like until the property is 100% booked on our return day we'll do one of the late check-out options. Worst case if they're fully booked we'll use the fitness facilities to shower, etc. before heading to the airport.

Thanks for convincing us to stay at our original property. We've had a few prior vacations with late return flights (although not quite red eye), and that final day of vacation was always "weird" ... driving around with our luggage trying to figure out something to do. Now we feel like we'll have a true full day and have a lot more options for activities, etc.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Logding ideas for day of red-eye return flight

Good for you mejaz for seeking clarification at the Hotel.

I would encourage you inquire at every opportunity as to the availability of an extended stay for that last day.....once on Island.

You can be assured that everyone on your flight and the many other flights out that evening will be seeking the same. Many folks just seem to realize the ramifications of that last day.....pretty late in the game. Be pro-active in order to facilitate the best result.