We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort advice please? BI

K M
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
175 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Resort advice please? BI

Hi Experts,

I asked a question on the Oahu forum and it was suggested to post on each island forum to get expert advice.

At the present I cannot decide between the islands. I keep going back and forth and back and forth between Oahu and the other islands so much that I have confused myself.

Originally my idea was to stay on Oahu as it was the most convenient, however finding out that I can’t get the resort I am searching for in the right location and between $300-$400(tops) a night I figured I would go back to searching other islands.

Basically next January we are going on a holiday to parts of America and Hawaii will be our last stop on the path back home to relax after our big trip.

We are trying to find something that will give us a feel of being somewhere different and new. We don't just want to stay in a hotel on a beach and feel like we are just at home (Australia).

The best place we have stayed at holidaying before was at a hotel in Thailand which the resort had nice grounds with immaculate lawns and trees and fishponds. It didn't feel like home (good thing), we actually felt like we were in a different culture. The smells, the sights the decor everything was amazing.

I have been looking for a nice resort with nice grounds and great pool and hopefully either a walk to/or on the beach. However, I am not a fan of waves. Well big waves anyway! I like the Ko Olina Lagoons on Oahu, but the resorts there are $500 up.

If we need to rent a car that is fine. Even though our focus is on a relaxing resort, we would still like to sight see.

We will be in Hawaii for 6 days (excluding the days we fly in and out of Hawaii). We might be able to add on a day as well.

I have gone through all the resorts and found a couple that look nice and might suit.

Can anyone give me advice on these or other suggestions?

The Fairmont Orchid

Hapuna Beach price hotel

Waikoloa Beach marriot resort and spa

Hilton Waikoloa Village

K M
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
175 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Resort advice please? BI

Thrumylens It is a hard decision lol. I do like the sound of Volcanoes (Science teacher).

I know King's Land by Hilton Grand Vacations isn't on the beach. But any experiences? Their pool looks amazing!! Is there a beach short drive away good for snorkelling and swimming?

No California
Level Contributor
237 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Resort advice please? BI

KM,

King's Land (KL) does have a great super pool, but the closest beach is not good for snorkeling but is good for swimming (once you get deep enough to not accidentally kick the occasional rock or piece of coral). Usually any waves are very small. In fact often in the mornings it is mirror smooth, but obviously the season and wind impacts this. And KL does give you access to the pools at the Hilton hotel. KL rooms tend to be smaller than most other condo's I've stayed in throughout Waikoloa or Mauna Lani, but the furnishings are top notch.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,741 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Resort advice please? BI

Yes the Kings Lands pools are really good, but the best beaches for snorkeling and swimming are about a 10-15 minute drive north.

K M
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
175 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Resort advice please? BI

Can I get to Waikoloa Beach?

What beaches are you refering to SheaG?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,220 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Resort advice please? BI

KM,

if you will look at the new Top Question on beaches, it contains very good writeups of the beaches, their names, directions, etc..

Anaehoʻomalu is the beach at Waikoloa Beach Resort, and is within 5 minutes drive to the parking, and a short walk (shortest on the south end where the restrooms and showers are). FirstPlace is talking about this beach. Some people call it A-bay, but we encourage people to use the Hawaiian names. (Auto-complete is very good at learning them. ;-) )

The beaches a bit to the north are Makaʻiwa Bay, Waialea, Hapuna, and Kaunaʻoa. Each of these is described in more detail in the Top Question.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,741 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Resort advice please? BI

Right, Waikoloa Beach is the name of the resort, not an actual beach.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Resort advice please? BI

KM - In short, the good snorkeling beaches closest to King's Land are in the Mauna Lani Resort property. So I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but if beachfront is not necessary, all things (well, besides that pool) considered, one of the condo complexes in the Mauna Lani Resort would seem to be the best fit, given your criteria. We stayed at one in the Palm Villas complex last September. Loved it. http://www.vrbo.com/166162 The pool in that complex isn't huge, but nice enough, and during the week we were there, never had more than a couple people in it.

Edited: 11:47 am, January 18, 2014
LA
Level Contributor
10,038 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Resort advice please? BI

That is a really nice pool, thrumylens, thanks for the link. I'll tuck it away for future use!

19. Re: Resort advice please? BI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, January 20, 2015