We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving weekend weather

Irvine, CA
Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Thanksgiving weekend weather

Hello,

First of all, thank you all for the great information, it's been very helpful in planning my first trip to Big Island.

I'll be spending a long Thanksgiving weekend at Mauna Lani Resort and most likely explore only the west coast part of the Island. I'm planning to do some snorkling (very novice level), relax by beautiful beaches, and hike along the coastal area. This is my first time visiting Hawaii in winter time (?) and I am not sure what to pack. I have been tracking the weather and it'll be low 80s daytime and low 70s at night. I also see some shower in the forecast. But I'm not sure whether those temperatures feel the same as here in CA.

So, for this trip, will I need long sleeve shirts, pants, or sweaters for the most part of the trip? Or will it be comfortable weather for shorts, t-shirts, and bikini (and just a sweater for night)?

Thank you, I really appreciate your input.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,748 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving weekend weather

On the coast, I doubt you will even need a sweater at night. Maybe a wrap if you plan to sit in the wind.

You will only need the stuff you listed as warm if you pass through Waimea, Volcano, or get out of the car up on the Saddle. Given what you mentioned, Waimea sounds like the one you might hit.

Shea made a Top question on warm clothing, but if you are not going to VNP, you really donʻt need much.

In my opinion, the lowland weather has just gotten to the point where itʻs not hot. It certainly is not chilly, although sure when you get out of the water you might shiver for a minute.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,765 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving weekend weather

The Kohala coast has still been in the upper 80s during the day. As KK says, you might need a wrap at night if the wind picks up and you're having dinner outside or walking on the beach or something, otherwise you'll live in your swimsuit and shorts.

As KK also noted, Waimea, only 20 minutes away, is worth checking out and it has been in the 50s even during the day recently, so that's the one place I would consider bringing warmer clothes for.

3. Re: Thanksgiving weekend weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 26, 2014