We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions?

Jackson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions?

My husband and I will be on the big island for 8 days as of this Saturday. We're staying 4 nights at the Waikoloa Marriott and four nights in Hilo.We will arrive around 8pm and would like to stop for a bite and drink on the way to hotel (any suggestions?). We have a Mauna Kea trip for Monday and the rest of the week unscheduled. The second half of the week we will do VNP for a day or two while staying in Hilo. Any suggestion for planning the week would be appreciated, however, we want to be able to enjoy the environment not go crazy trying to fit everything in. The second week we will be in Maui with family, suggestions here would eb appreciated also.

Canada
Level Contributor
8,963 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions?

Are you coming in from New Jersey that first night? If so, your time clocks will be at 0200 hrs+...and perhaps not looking for a meal.

There is a market almost directly next to your hotel. "Island Gourmet" They have sandwiches, beverages, cheese wine etc.... They are open until 11 p.m.It is a full service market that offers numerous choices for convenience.They have a huge customer base with the nearby Marriott and HIlton hotels

If you do find yourself wanting something more, there are a number of food choices within the Queen's Marketplace..where the Island Gourmet market is located....

4 nights in Hilo.. huh..... hopefully you are flying out of ITO - OGG?

The South Kohala coast is known for clear blue skies, warm temperatures, little rain and close proximity to some of the Island's best beaches.

Jackson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions?

Thank you. Yes we are flying from NJ and yes 4 nights in Hilo, maybe that's not wise? We're flying out of Kona to Maui.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,403 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions?

What time is your flight out of Kona to Maui? It's generally not advised to drive cross island to catch a flight as you need to allow so much time and there can be road closures and delays.

Generally with 8 nights, I would not suggest more than 2 for the east side. Especially since you're going to be coming off a travel day from the east coast, your time on the west side is much too limited IMO. If possible I would add a couple of days to the west side and fly out of Hilo.

As far as planning, what sort of things do you like to do? If you read through the Top Questions that can give you ideas.

Canada
Level Contributor
8,963 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions?

Absolutely agree....2 nights max on the east ....and fly out of ITO if last nights stayed there.

Although, I am not usually an advocate of 3 locales for short stays.....but seeing you have these plans pretty solid......How about staying the 4 nights at the Marriott, move to the East for 2 nights, then back to the west for the last two nights to enjoy more of the west side offerings before flying out of KOA. Crossing the Island on departure day is ill advised.

This way you wouldn't have to touch your flight itineraries....just reduce the Hilo stay to 2nights(usually not a penalty), and find a place west for the last 2 nights. Any thoughts to staying in Volcano for those 2nights.....lots,of charming places there...and closer to VNP?

Jackson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions?

Thank you so much for the feedback it's extremely helpful. We like the outdoors, swimming, snorkling, kayaking and hiking. We were planning on Mauna Kea from Waikoloa and some beaches inthat area also then Hilo and VNP from there. Is two days enough to see Hilo and VNP. I had a feeling Waikoloa was the better place since it was very difficult to find a hotel with decent reviews in the Hilo area. The suggestion to venture back to the west side the last few days is good we'll consider that. Anything else you can add please do so this is really helpful.

Jackson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions?

Forgot to say... we're not really B&B people but can be open to the option.

Canada
Level Contributor
8,963 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions?

Here are a few suggestions for Volcano

http://www.kilauealodge.com

http://www.hawaiivolcanohouse.com

It doesn't have to be a bed and breakfast....there are some charming cottages.

Here is a link to many options in the area

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60607-i1026-k6728…

Can you get out of your reserved room at Hilo without penalty?

Edited: 4:43 pm, October 21, 2013
Jackson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions?

Thank you. Yes we can cancel a portion of our reservation with no penalty. Wow we have decisions to make. We will continue to accept suggestions :)

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,594 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions?

It might be good if you post your plan to cancel and your new plan before you go ahead and do it ...

often people make sudden changes and there is something not great about the new plan but they donʻt realize it and when we tell them it is too late.

Ideally you would be staying longer west and flying from Hilo to OGG. Any chance you can do that?

If not, I think it is better to come back to the west earlier so that you can enjoy the cross island drive. Otherwise the last day is a waste.

What time is your flight out?

You can get a taste of Hilo in one day and VNP in a day. There is more to do on either side than you will have time for.

I donʻt care for the rooms at the Marriott, so I wouldnʻt suggest adding more nights there. Is there a reason you went with a hotel instead of a condo? Did you get a standard room at the Marriott did you get an oceanfront room? (those are better)

Are you taking a tour to Mauna Kea? Not trying to take your rental to the summit, right?

Re stopping en route to the hotel, there is nothing between KOA and the Marriott resort area other than the Four Seasons. I would not stop there late because you will lose your momentum. I would go straight to Waikoloa.

The only restaurant that might serve after 9 PM is Sansei, which would be a fine stop if you have energy, has bar seating or table, sushi and drinks. Oh, and there is the bar at Lava lava Beach Club, and you can check how late they serve food. You could walk down the beach to that. I think their food sucks, but the atmosphere would read "here we are in Hawaii with tiki torches on the sand."

Island Gourmet is the best market if you go the route of shopping the first night, but I prefer Foodland Farms or Waikoloa Village Market up the hill if it is the next day. Less expensive.

Jackson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions?

Out flight from Kona to Maui is around 12 noon. We were going to stay the four nights in Hilo with the plan of driving to VNP a couple of days. We are now considering less nights in Hilo and working our way back to Kona for one or two nights. We have an Oceanfront room at the Marriott. We like hotels for the amenitities many have such as a restaurant, housekeeping etc. We have a rental car but are taking the tour of Mauna Kea. What is the time frame from the airport to the hotel? I'm thinking we need to pack clothes a bit heavier than shorts and short sleeve shirts?