We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

Kitchener, Canada
11 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay?

I am looking for any advice! I am just beginning my research of planning an end of Feb 2014 trip to the Big Island. We stayed in Maui Feb 2013 and got married there, and we loved it. I am dying to go to Kauai but I have read that the best weather in February is the Big Island and it is not the greatest in Kauai.

I don't have a cost per night, but I have already seen the Four Seasons on the Big Island is way out of our budget. I have looked at Waikoloa Beach Marriott and that seems nice, along with the Sheraton Kona. We are flying from Toronto for 9 nights and I'd like to keep flight and hotel under 5000$.

What is the best area to stay at the end of Feb? We love to explore but I would like to stay at a nice beach area, with access to dining/a bit of shopping maybe. We also don't mind driving distances to see all the beautiful sights.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

tjackson55
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Where to stay?

Yes I am the same person.. I had problems with my account and had to create another, no idea how my computer still has the old one logged in. Sorry for the confusion.

How is the Hilton?

I read reviews that Mauna Lani Bay Hotel Is lovely but outdated? What hotel would you say is more up to date? I'm just comparing all my options right now

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,915 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Where to stay?

The Hilton would be my last choice on the Kohala Coast. No beach or ocean access, tragic captive dolphins, lots of screaming kids, nothing Hawaiiana at all.

For the price the Mauna Lani is one of the best values in all Hawaii. No, it's not the Four Seasons, but you're not paying FS prices. It's also much more quiet and Hawaiiana than almost any beach resort in the state with some of the best snorkeling in the US.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,920 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Where to stay?

The outer design of the Mauna Lani is not what would get built now, but then they would probably would not allow a big hotel structure like that to be built now steps from the shore. Itʻs a lovely hotel. The only hotel that is truly up to date is the Four Seasons, and that would bust your budget.

Outdated is a very broad term. What are you concerned about specifically? What do you like in a hotel?

The Marriott as it is today results from renovations and additions to a low budget hotel that was called the Royal Waikoloan. And as much as they have done to the public areas, they never really changed the odd shape and footprint of the rooms.

For example, my little room had an outer wall that was an odd angle, not square, and that really impacted the space.

Then they have done this lame design feature where they have something like shoji screen filling an opening in the wall space between the bathroom and the room. In my room, the bed was against that wall and the screen was above the head of the bed. Looks fine by day, but at night, if someone turns on the bathroom light, the whole screen lights up like a projector screen.

I would find that intensely annoying if I were sleeping and my companion used the bathroom, as Iʻm sure that much light would wake me up. I donʻt know what they were thinking. There are other rooms where there are two beds and the head is against the side wall, but it would still be in field of vision.

The Marriott felt claustrophobic to me in the room wings, because of the interior corridors that go round and round with the standard hotel doors.

The Prince has wooden double doors that open onto the rooms from open air corridors, and all the rooms face the ocean. At the Mauna Lani as well, no rooms face other rooms.

The Mauna Lani has open air interior corridors, with a six story atrium in the middle. In both Prince and Mauna Lani they have done away with the carpeted corridors and boring hallway that would be so disorienting if you ever had to evacuate at night. I literally felt trapped sleeping at the Marriott, between the tiny room and the corridors and the balcony/slider that looked straight into other rooms. At night, forget about opening the curtains with the lights on.

Itʻs a great pleasure in Hawaiʻi to sit on the lanai and look out at beautiful surroundings with some degree of privacy. You wonʻt have that at the Marriott unless you get very lucky with your room.

Kitchener, Canada
11 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Where to stay?

Okay... I am totally confused where to stay for best location to GREAT beach, dining, shopping.

I think a great beach is the most important thing for us

Kitchener, Canada
11 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Where to stay?

my friend reccommended courtyard by marriott king kamehameha. thoughts? i noticed the beach/pier it's on didnt seem the greatest

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,920 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Where to stay?

Hapuna Prince, great beach.

Great snorkeling, Mauna Lani.

Great beach more money, Mauna Kea

Use of Mauna Lani beach with shuttle, Fairmont Orchid

Ok beach, Marriott

Postage stamp sized beach, Courtyard, busy touristy pier

Quality dining, South Kohala.

Shopping -- anywhere

More local made stuff -- go to the smaller villages ...

Edited: 10:27 pm, October 31, 2013