We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volcano Rainforest Lodge

New York
Level Contributor
289 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Volcano Rainforest Lodge

Hi,

I have been looking for reviews of this lodge and cannot seem to find any. Has anyone stayed here and if so how was it? It may work for us (family of 4) but don't want to go in blindly.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Volcano Rainforest Lodge

Shipman is not loose enough to be a kid or teens place. The historical nature of the property causes the innkeeper to have rules in place to protect it, which wouldn't bother me but might feel constraining to teens.

August and September are the hot and muggy months here at sea level.

New York
Level Contributor
289 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Volcano Rainforest Lodge

I think it's going to be VVL! If they have a 2 bedroom with loft that should be perfect, one of my kids can take the loft and the other a bedroom.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Volcano Rainforest Lodge

ME TOO! We are planning a trip for the Spring and it's very confusing. Info overload. Lonely Planet reviews Volcano Rainforest very highly, but I've read some poor reviews from people who stayed there. Hawaii Revealed, which is considered the very best tour book, doesn't seem to know about it.

New York
Level Contributor
289 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Volcano Rainforest Lodge

Can you tell me where you saw reviews for Volcano Rainforest? Maybe post a link...

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,688 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Volcano Rainforest Lodge

Guidebooks are generally not a good place to get lodging (or restaurant) reviews.

Also "Revealed" is not considered "the very best" by most of us who live here or have a respect for Hawaiian culture and history. I think it's garbage.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Volcano Rainforest Lodge

Hi heather, I don't want to turn this topic into a guidebook discussion, but I hate to see you taken in by the Revealed PR machine. It's a bad and controversial book that is actually hated by the residents. As far as lodgings go, the writer spent some months on this island ten years ago or more, and at most has dropped by since then. He never was a Big Island resident for real.

Lodgings reviews online are the way to go. I like LP guided for other things, but it takes years between new editions, and in any case they only check out a small selection of the hundreds of choices in Volcano alone.

17. Re: Volcano Rainforest Lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 pm, December 23, 2013
Mission Viejo...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Volcano Rainforest Lodge

If you are looking for review on lodging go to vrbo 448070 amazing reviews

19. Re: Volcano Rainforest Lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 19, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Island of Hawaii