We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hi - which one: Royal Kona or Kona Seaside Hotel?

NY
Level Contributor
90 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Hi - which one: Royal Kona or Kona Seaside Hotel?

also, any issues w/vog in this area in Nov? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,220 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hi - which one: Royal Kona or Kona Seaside Hotel?

It depends on what you want and need.

I would not stay at either one, but I don't know what you're looking for.

Kailua Kona is voggy, that is a given.

Edited: 11:37 pm, September 11, 2013
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,741 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hi - which one: Royal Kona or Kona Seaside Hotel?

I wouldn't stay in either one either, if you have to stay in Kailua Kona (which I don't generally recommend), I'd stay at the Courtyard Marriott.

Reedsburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
265 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hi - which one: Royal Kona or Kona Seaside Hotel?

I stayed at the Royal Kona. The CourtYard would be nicer but it does depend on what you like. The Royal Kona is older and it's nothing special. We had an oceanfront view and the location to walk to Kona was great. I'd stay there again.

NY
Level Contributor
90 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hi - which one: Royal Kona or Kona Seaside Hotel?

Thanks all! As you can tell, I'm we can't afford a fancy place but want to be close to the water.

We plan to rent a car and travel much but I wanted a place that if we decide to stay "home" one day, we'd have beach access.

We were in Maui and Kauai for our honeymoon and plan this as an "almost 10 year anny".

Not sure we're condo people but that said, any suggestions on where to stay w/beach access would be great! Also, we're staying for 12 days and I think we want to establish a "home base" on the west coast and go the day-trip route.

So excited - chatting with you all brings me closer to being there!

NY
Level Contributor
90 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hi - which one: Royal Kona or Kona Seaside Hotel?

Ok - if I can find a way to afford it - how about Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel? Thanks ever so much!

Canada
Level Contributor
9,168 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hi - which one: Royal Kona or Kona Seaside Hotel?

So you say..."can't afford a fancy place'.....What does that translate into for a nightly accommodation budget you can afford?

There are a number of new, modern affordable condo complexes up in South Kohala....as this seems to be what many folks want and like. Modern accommodation with triple the sq footage of a hotel room.

There are no beaches to speak of in Kailua Kona town.

If the Hapuna Prince is on your radar..it would be a good choice...lovely beach., large rooms.

NY
Level Contributor
90 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hi - which one: Royal Kona or Kona Seaside Hotel?

Hi - my initial question about comparing the 2 hotels in the title of this post means that I was looking at a total expenditure for the 12 nights of around $1400 (taxes incl). The Price will cost much more but I read that the location is much nicer! I am overwhelmed by the amount of condos to choose from - anyone have any ideas (w/beach access?).

Thanks!

NY
Level Contributor
90 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hi - which one: Royal Kona or Kona Seaside Hotel?

Sorry for the fragmented post - how about Paniolo Greens Resort for a condo stay? :-)

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,220 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hi - which one: Royal Kona or Kona Seaside Hotel?

I stayed at PG recently for a night and did not like it at all. Few with ocean view and no beach access.

I think the prince would feel very special to you. How much is it going for?

Waikola Village is six miles up the hill from the ocean. It can make a good economy base, but know it can be very windy.

There are nicer condos in WV than Paniolo Greens on VRBO. PG is just a big bunch of condos hat are run by management with short stays like a hotel. With 12 days, you could get a nice discount on a VRBO condo.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,741 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hi - which one: Royal Kona or Kona Seaside Hotel?

Stay at the Prince. The rooms are huge and you won't be able to get a condo in the same price range that's on the water or a beach. All of the rooms face the ocean so you won't be stuck with a parking lot view even at the lower category of room (although you may not get much of an ocean view either, for the price, it's the best option IMO).

No, I wouldn't stay in Waikoloa Village. By "beach access" I presume you don't want to have to drive to get to one, and you would have to there, as KK notes it's not on the water, it's up the mountain. (Waikoloa Village is different from Waikoloa Beach).