We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New section of Saddle Road opens Sept. 7th

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,578 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
New section of Saddle Road opens Sept. 7th

One week to go! I'm so excited.

There will be a dedication and a blessing just prior to its opening (that day).

There is still a 5.7 mile section of realignment to be done on the Hilo side.

Thanks to Aaron Stone for tirelessly posting updates.

The old portion will remain open. I am guessing the Army training will continue to use the old road. I never liked that section, as a road. The scenery of Waiki'i Ranch is pretty, but the narrow road was tricky, and as for the Steps portion, won't miss it at all. No more one lane sections with yields, woohoo!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
36,578 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New section of Saddle Road opens Sept. 7th

Now they are warning us to take it slow.

"Media Release

The latest phase of the Saddle Road realignment project will be open to vehicular traffic from Saturday, September 7, following a dedication ceremony at 3 p.m.

To promote safety for the motoring public, police will conduct education by way of “speed boards,” devices which provide a digital display of approaching vehicles’ speed. Additionally, officers will conduct speed enforcement as part of the two-prong approach aimed at seeking compliance with the posted speed limits."

Watch out for that second prong, it will have some sting! ;-)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,210 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New section of Saddle Road opens Sept. 7th

LOL, KK ... sounds like the cops are expecting a little too much "woohoo." Sounds like you all will be set free!

(So -- how much of the "bad" part of the road does this represent?)

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,386 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New section of Saddle Road opens Sept. 7th

This is the final stage, there will be no more "bad" parts.

Time to turn up my radar detector :-))

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,210 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New section of Saddle Road opens Sept. 7th

So, nice DE ladies ... how does this impact our BI visitors who want to stay far away from the VNP and commute back and forth?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
36,578 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New section of Saddle Road opens Sept. 7th

lol, you guys ...

BLBL, the same problem will remain for seeing the night glow action or hiking to lava and then driving home. If itt ainʻt the road, itʻs the drivers.

Actually, the Saddle will still have thick fog on the Hilo side that is disorienting. Whether there will be fog/clouds sitting on the new portion the way it does through Waikiʻi Ranch, I donʻt know, not ever having been through the new area.

Even if the Saddle is great, the approaches on either side are still hard to drive at night, especially when you have never see the road before, or maybe have seen it once.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,210 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New section of Saddle Road opens Sept. 7th

Gotcha, KK ...

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
36,578 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New section of Saddle Road opens Sept. 7th

The new Saddle is getting rave reviews, with an estimated 18 minute time gain over the old route, and under one hour from 6mm in Hilo to the junction.

The one issue people mention is the design is a steep grade instead of having a lot of curves like the old road. Specifically, requires a downshift to avoid riding brakes, and your speed can really creep up easily. Apparently there are police all along the route just waiting for careless speeding, so be very careful, as already noted.

8. Re: New section of Saddle Road opens Sept. 7th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, September 11, 2014