We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean kayaking suggestions? Kealakekua Bay?

North Brunswick...
Level Contributor
101 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Ocean kayaking suggestions? Kealakekua Bay?

We are a young couple, first time ocean kayaking while visiting Hawaii around Thanksgiving this year. Is it ok to kayak without guide in Kealakekua Bay?

I have been following all discussions about Kealakekua Bay permit, and I'm not sure if guided tours would be available in Nov. or not. I already talked to DLNR on how to get Kealakekua Bay State Park SUP, which is free. If we rent kayak, where do we launch it from? (the wharf at Napoopoo is NOT an option)

Finally, is there any other better kayaking place on the big island? (if Kealakekua Bay doesn't work out) We are interested in watching sea life or caves from kayak...we are first time snorkelers, too.

Kona
Level Contributor
3,014 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocean kayaking suggestions? Kealakekua Bay?

You can't launch rented kayaks anywhere at Kealakekua Bay. You can take a guided kayak tour, however, as you know from your research, and that option should be available in November unless the situation changes yet again.

Try heading down to Ho'okena Beach on a weekday (leave the weekends for the locals) and rent kayaks right there on the beach. In the summer, and through much of October/November, it's usually pretty calm so it would be fine for a first-time kayaker. Ho'okena is really the only place in South Kona that is appropriate for kayak launching, and they are all set up for it there.

Keauhou is another option, or up in Kohala. I'm not sure about the best Kohala sites, but I'm sure our DE Shea can be of help with that . . .

Edited: 3:18 pm, July 19, 2013
Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocean kayaking suggestions? Kealakekua Bay?

Where are you staying?

Ho'okena is a good suggestion if you're staying in Kailua Kona although even from there it's quite a drive. If you're staying at one of the North Kona (Hualalai) or South Kohala resorts most of them offer on site kayak rentals. If you're renting offsite you can launch up there at the Puako ramp or Kawaihae. You can also go with a guide from Kohala Kayak.

November is a transition month as far as ocean conditions go. It can be flat or big or anywhere in between.

***I just reread and see that you're first timers. I would go with a guide, don't attempt ocean kayaking for the first time on your own.

Edited: 3:29 pm, July 19, 2013
Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,867 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocean kayaking suggestions? Kealakekua Bay?

That's a first time double whammy. I would be cautious. I learned to snorkel (not that I'm very good at it even now) with a super experienced snorkeler (husband), diver, swimmer. If you are both new, the who is to help if you get out of your depth, so to speak?

You can also rent a kayak at Anaeho'omalu Bay, where the water stays quite calm most of the time. There's a concession on the beach. This is just for tooling around the bay. I don'tt think a pair of novices should go out and tackle sea caves in November.

Aside from the good suggestions already, I would repeat the Keauhou Bay suggestion. They have a guided sea cave tour IIRC.

North Brunswick...
Level Contributor
101 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ocean kayaking suggestions? Kealakekua Bay?

@SheaG, We are staying in Honaunau...

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,867 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ocean kayaking suggestions? Kealakekua Bay?

Then you are close to Ho'okena, and a bit longer but not a bad drive from Keauhou Bay. I would follow wahine's suggestion of trying Ho'okena for sure. Then see if you need more.

6. Re: Ocean kayaking suggestions? Kealakekua Bay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 24, 2014