We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui/Molokai/Big Island

New York City, New...
6 posts
Save Topic
Maui/Molokai/Big Island

We are a couple planning to visit Hawaii towards the end of June until July 1st week. We have 9 nights and 10 days in the island, excluding travel. We plan to fly into Maui, spend a few nights there and do a day trip to Molokai on one of the days for the mule ride. We then want to head to Big island and spend at least 4 nights there. Is it a good trip or are we packing in too much for a first visit to Hawaii?

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,773 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui/Molokai/Big Island

Hi Sandy,

9 nights on one island would be ideal ... I would pick either Maui or the Big Island. Trying to fit all that you mention into 9 nights will leave you frustrated with too much time devoted to travel, and too little time to enjoying the sights and activities on the islands.

Is your trip next year (I didn't think you meant next week, but I wasn't sure?)

Susan

LA
Level Contributor
10,488 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui/Molokai/Big Island

Too few nights on Maui, too few nights on Hawaii, and I don't think you also have time for Molokai.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,483 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui/Molokai/Big Island

It's doable, you just need to consider whether you want quantity or quality.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
29,113 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui/Molokai/Big Island

I would just do the BI or split it 6/3 between Maui and Molokai or Maui and Lanai or you could even do a 5/4 split between Maui and Kauai or Maui and Oahu. But you don't have enough time for three islands and the BI really needs a minimum of 8-9 nights as it's as big as all the other combined. Plus interisland travel is costly but in terms of money and time spent.

New York City, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui/Molokai/Big Island

Thanks for your inputs. Looks like BI alone is definitely worth it. I am looking for a little more outdoor activity like hiking, national park visits etc as opposed to just roasting on the beach. I am happy with just 2 full days of beach time and would dedicate the rest of the trip to checking out the place, and hence thinking about doing 3 islands (technically staying on just 2 as we are thinking about a day trip to Molokai from Maui).

The trip is next week. This was a very last minute decision as the husband's leave just got approved. We know it is going to be expensive, but did not want to miss the chance as I might not have anymore vacation time until this year end.

-- I definitely dont want to do Oahu - would love to avoid the summer crowds.

-- Also, does anyone have any recommendations for beach resorts in Maui/Big island within the 150-175 range. I am open to private cottages/condos as well, but first choice would be a resort with a jacuzzi :)

Sandy

Wayne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
424 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui/Molokai/Big Island

I'd personally stick to 1 maybe 2 islands. Big island is supposed to be huge so if you're wanting to do that island I'd just stick it out there. If 1 maybe Maui and Kauai or Maui and a quick excursion to Molokai:)

My husband and I did Oahu 7 nights and Kauai 3 because we were told we would be bored in Kauai for more than a day..thank goodness we did 3..I wish it were reversed and Kauai 7 Oahu 3

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
29,113 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui/Molokai/Big Island

If this trip is next week, I would look at reserving a rental car now. They do run out. Especially as it sounds like you're coming over/near July 4? Interisland flights also will be booked up and expensive last minute. Do you already have your flight booked from the mainland? Where are you flying into, or is that TBD?

The advice to stick to one island, or at most two of the smaller ones, stands even if you have no plans to sit on the beach. There is more than enough to fill 9 days on any of the four major iands without setting foot on a beach (although that would be a shame).

You won't get a beachfront resort for that price on the Big Island. The budget beachfront hotels are the Hapuna Prince and Marriott Waikoloa and they will probably run you in the low 200s this time of year, for the basic no-view room. You can get a nice large condo in that price range in South Kohala (the main beach district), walking distance or a short drive to beaches, but with no view and definitely not beachfront.

You'll have more beachfront lodging choices in Maui but also more crowds and probably even more expensive, but I'd ask on that forum for advice on that front.

Again, trust us, you don't have time for three islands. You'll end up spending a third of your time in airports and in transit, and needing a vacation from your vacation. Each island has enough diversity and things to do that you don't need to feel you'll get bored after a few days or like you're missing out by not bouncing around.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,355 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui/Molokai/Big Island

Last minute that includes 4th of July is going to be tough, so first shop for those dates and see where you have options at all, including a rental car and any inter island flights.

I think the only way you'd get a beach resort for the price in summer high season is Hotwire or a Priceline bid. For Kohala (NOT Kailua Kona, no beach). It would be the lowest room category, but a mountain view is not so bad. Also check websites for Hapuna Prince and Marriott Waikoloa, although the latter will have a lot of kids in that jacuzzi.

Some of the condos at Waikoloa Beach (NOT Village) should fall in that range, and the jacuzzis and pools have fewer people trying to share them than at a hotel.

9 days on the Big Island is a decent time without including much beach time. There's a couple weeks worth of sights to see easily.

Edited: 3:11 pm, June 21, 2013
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,773 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui/Molokai/Big Island

I would look for packages (hotel + car + flights) for either Maui or the Island of Hawaii, on a site such as Expedia, to see if something in your price range is available.

New York City, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui/Molokai/Big Island

Hello. Thanks for all the suggestions so far. So we have made the flight reservations and are doing only big island. As for the hotel accommodations, we are looking at the Hilton but our only concern is that it would be too crowded with a lot of kids. Just wondering if there are any other beach properties which are more like couples retreats. We will be driving around most of the day, just looking for late night drinks by the pool with decent dining options near by. Appreciate any inputs..