We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilo Farmers Market on an off day?

NJ
Level Contributor
359 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hilo Farmers Market on an off day?

Hi All,

We will be on the east side of the island for only one night (Sunday to Monday). It sounds like the Hilo Farmers Market is not to be missed, but I read that it is best on Saturdays and Wednesdays. Is it worth it to check out the market on Sundays or Mondays? We are mainly looking to find some exotic fruits and some unique homemade eats.

Thanks!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,037 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilo Farmers Market on an off day?

The real farmerʻs market is only Wed and Sat.

That said, in the last few years, the number of vendors on non-market days have increased. I donʻt know how many vendors come with ready made treats on those days. Used to be just produce vendors, but lately I have seen some non-produce stalls.

If youʻre in Hilo during the day, itʻs in the center of old downtown, so why not?

If youʻre in Puna on Sunday, check out the Makuʻu Market on Hwy 130 between Keaʻau and Pahoa, not too far past the Humane Society. Donʻt go too late though.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
743 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilo Farmers Market on an off day?

I like the Maku'u Market better than the Hilo Market, but it lies a bit more than "not too far past the Humane Society. It's more like six miles (maybe more) beyond the Humane Society. However, if you get there much after 1 PM, you'll see lots of vendors closing up shop.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,037 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilo Farmers Market on an off day?

"Far" is a relative concept in the Punaverse. ;-)

NJ
Level Contributor
359 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilo Farmers Market on an off day?

Thanks for the info! The Maku'u Market sounds like exactly what we are looking for. Now the logistics...

We will be waking up in Kona on Sunday morning. We are planning to head north and stop at Tex Drive In for the Malasades. Then head down to the market via highway 19. We will be doing a lava hike in Kalapana that evening, having to arrive around 4pm. I know that the market closes at 2. What is considered "early". You mentioned to get there early, and I read that on a review as well. Curious, why get there early? Also, as far as exotic fruits, will I get the same variety as Hilo market would have?

Thanks!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,037 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilo Farmers Market on an off day?

You're talking over 4 hours of driving alone, at best speed, without stops. I would take the Saddle. The malasasas are no big deal.

There is no point in driving Hamakua Coast if you don't have time to stop along the way. The lava hike is a big deal and you might want to conserve your energy.

I don't know what you mean when you say exotic fruits. If you mean tropical fruits, those are common here, not exotic, and easily found at any market. If you mean a truly exotic fruit that is hard to find in Hawai'i, then any supply would sell out early.

Hilo will have a better selection of fruit on full market days, but on an off day it might be a tossup. Hilo market is a side trip if you take the Saddle.

You will drive right by Maku'u.

You're trying to pack too much in, IMHO.

NJ
Level Contributor
359 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilo Farmers Market on an off day?

According to GoogleMaps, it's under 3 hours. Should I be prepared for it to take longer due to traffic?

What are the good sites to see along the Hamuka Coast?

Edited: 4:37 pm, June 21, 2013
NJ
Level Contributor
359 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilo Farmers Market on an off day?

(Sorry, Hamakua)

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,039 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hilo Farmers Market on an off day?

Google maps is pretty useless when it comes to drive times on the Big Island. There is no way you could get from Kailua Kona to Kalapana via the Hamakua Coast in less than three hours. It's a solid four, possibly more. And that's if you don't hit any traffic.

You don't have enough time to do Hamakua sites and the farmers market and get to the lava hike. There are several hours worth of stops.

Saturday there are two very nice farmers markets in Waimea and it's a fun day there with roadside vendors and food trucks.

Edited: 4:43 pm, June 21, 2013
NJ
Level Contributor
359 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Hilo Farmers Market on an off day?

Thanks for the clarification. Seeing as how it will take longer than expected, maybe it makes more sense to take the Hamakua route leisurely (heading out early from Kona at 8/830), and expect to be in Kalapana by 4. We could always visit one of the other farmers markets. That being said, what would you suggest we view along the coast if we take that route?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,037 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hilo Farmers Market on an off day?

It doesnʻt make sense to take the Hamakua coast at all on this day, from Kailua to Kalapana.

Do you not have some other day you can see it? Will your body clocks still be six hours later on NJ time?

Things like lists of sites to see are in your guide book (which you should have) and in online guides. You really donʻt need a DE to type out a new list for you. There is also a Top Question on must sees you should take a look at.