We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Island cycling

oklahoma city
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Big Island cycling

Currently staying at Mauni Lani point. Have ridden up the Queen's Highway, to Kawihae, and up towards Hawi multiple times, wondering about other options. Have also gone the other way on the highway. Any thoughts on other routes appreciated.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
29,133 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Big Island cycling

It's really not a place well suited to cycling. Hot, vast lava rock fields, winds, large numbers of impaired/impatient local drivers together with distracted and disoriented visitor drivers, it's really no wonder there isn't a cycling culture.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,380 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Big Island cycling

Right! Most Ironman athletes come to warm up to the course but donʻt live here.

The Ironman cyclists stick to the route, almost entirely, and as you know, the lower highway has big wide shoulder lanes, like no other highway on the island.

Keep in mind that the Island goes to great lengths to keep all traffic away when the race occurs. One day a year, the cyclists rule, but the rest of the year, look out ... no one is watching for you (except on the bike route in the month or two before the race).

Our local drivers canʻt even avoid hitting power poles and rock walls (Fridayʻs crash in Hilo), which are not even on the road! But hey, on Oahu the drunks plow into peopleʻs homes at high speeds ... (news story from the last week or so)

Last year was horrible for fatalities, way higher than the year before, hoped it was an anomaly. but this year we are up to 18 when there were 14 last year. Thatʻs more than a 25% increase. One young woman killed herself running off the road at the entrance to the Fairmont at high speed. Really, why would anyone need to go fast inside the resort? Weird.

Edited: 3:10 am, June 18, 2013
oklahoma city
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Big Island cycling

Quick trip report on today's ride. Started from Mauna Lani, south on Queen's Hwy to road to Waikiloa Village. First mile or so the shoulder is basically a white stripe painted in a line(more or less) but it's wide enough. After that the shoulder is good. Gradual fairly gentle climb, with a few steep places. Thankfully if there is a Hawaiian god of wind, he or she was sleeping in today. After the village, nice wide shoulder which then abruptly completely ends at the mile 8 marker. I went up another 1/4 mile to the crest of a rise, and as far as I could see there was no sholder. So I turned and went back down to the village, then back up to the 8 mile marker again. Stopped at Don's in Waikiloa Village for coffee, and a very relaxing break. Then back downhill to Queen's highway. Incredible view, if you do this ride don't forget to look up and enjoy the views. Cruised through Waikiloa and Mauni Lani and back to the condo, just over 40 miles. Great ride.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,380 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Big Island cycling

Congrats! 40 miles!

yeah, the view coming down Waikoloa Road is spectac.

Co you mean Daveʻs Plate and Coffee Shack for coffee? On the post office side of the road?

You are right, no shoulder on upper Waikoloa Road to speak of and it gets steeper above the Village.

No California
Level Contributor
241 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Big Island cycling

Bob, thanks for the ride update. After all the work going uphill, I love that ride back down to the resorts. I also love the first 5 miles of the return trip from Hawi.

Edited: 12:38 am, June 19, 2013
oklahoma city
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Big Island cycling

Is it Dave's? Sorry Dave I thought it was Dan's. It's on the left side if you are coming downhill, where there's a four way stop sign.

17. Re: Big Island cycling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 21, 2014