We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

David Ewing’s tour OR other lava view tour?

North Brunswick...
Level Contributor
101 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
David Ewing’s tour OR other lava view tour?

First of all - I don't know what's the difference between David Ewing's tour and other lava-view tours (such as VDT, kalapana cultural, poke-a-stick etc). Are they both go to the same area/region? Are they both tours go close to the ocean-entry?

Also, I can't find David Ewing's contact info or website. Do you have it?

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,867 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: David Ewing’s tour OR other lava view tour?

I donʻt.

There is only one area where the lava flows into the ocean, when it does.

One thing you should do to answer your own question is to call each tour company and ask them how they differentiate themselves. Then discard what sounds like hype.

As far as Iʻm concerned, Volcano Discovery is the only tour with truly professional guides.

Kalapana Cultural tours is family run, by the ohana that owns the land. They are Hawaiian, and it is good to support their venture. But I myself would choose Volcano Discovery. They have a great ethic that I admire.

Poke-a-stick has a B&B and farm that happens to be in the right area. That to me is a not a qualification to take people on a dangerous tour.

If anything unexpected happens out there, that is dangerous (which does happen), Iʻd want to be with the best guides and not the least expensive.

TN
Level Contributor
529 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: David Ewing’s tour OR other lava view tour?

I'm so glad someone asked this question. We are trying to make the same decision.

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: David Ewing’s tour OR other lava view tour?

I don't think David Ewing is permitted to operate legally on the Kalapana lava hike and I would ask that question. I believe he also for many years took people on the Pu'u O'o hike even after the trail was closed. I think it's important to choose operators who are working within the law and obtaining the necessary permits and acting professionally and responsibly. Both VDT and KCT are doing so. Not to say they're they only ones, but they're the only ones I know of.

CA
Level Contributor
549 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: David Ewing’s tour OR other lava view tour?

My wife and I went on a tour with David's company in early Feb 2012. There were a total of five people plus the guide (not David).

The tour was ok. Not great, not bad, just ok. I had done a hike to the lava flow in 2007 with Warren Costa (a private guide hired for the day, and Warren is outstanding). One of the other couples on the hike had gone out with David's company multiple times in the past. In many respects the guy (of the couple) was equal or better than the guide in terms of information and finding better breakouts.

As far as David being "legal", in my emails with David he said that he is one of the "allowed" guides, and has an arrangement with Kalapana Cultural tours to conduct the tours. He and his wife both live on the lava field, and you park at their house and hike from there.

If you are fit, dress appropriately, and are cognizant of what you are doing as you walk, the hike to flowing lava is extremely enjoyable and awe inspiring when you are actually at a breakout.

5. Re: David Ewing’s tour OR other lava view tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 16, 2014