We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mana Road

Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Mana Road

Planning a trip for 2 weeks at the end of the year and working on a tenative itinerary. We like to venture off the main roads and explore... I am wondering if Mana Road is accessible by regular car or if it's 4WD only? Thanks! (probably first of many questions...)

Kona
Level Contributor
2,419 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mana Road

Mana Road is a dirt/rock road that is only accessible with 4WD, so you cannot take a rental car on this road, even a 4WD (strictly prohibited by rental car companies, even for their 4WD rentals).

It's not the kind of place where tourists should be wandering around, anyway. If you have local friends with a 4WD who could take you up there, though, that might be an option.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,023 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mana Road

I wouldn't recommend driving around on isolated back roads or locals only places. As wahine said, if you have an on island friend to take you, that's different. Nor would I recommend going places with anyone you meet while visiting. It might be all right but it might be really bad, so it's not worth it.

There is plenty to see on the "main" roads and at the attractions that visitors go to.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,199 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mana Road

Ditto. Aside from annoying locals and residents by driving off the main roads, many of which are private roads, and violating your rental contract, it's simply not safe. People here have marijuana patches, dogs, guns, and don't take kindly to visitors poking around where they shouldn't be.

Honokaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
393 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mana Road

I've driven Mana Rd. all the way through a couple times. Chances are, you won't see anyone after you're past the ranch houses in Kamuela. If the weather is good, you don't even need 4wd. Ground clearance is needed though, there are big ruts in a couple spots. If the weather has been bad, or turns bad, the trip could be quite an adventure!

There is that rental contract thing though...

5. Re: Mana Road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 31, 2014