We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Body found in ocean near lava viewing area

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,039 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Body found in ocean near lava viewing area

The report that there were four cars left overnight in the parking lot is even more concerning....

m.hawaiinewsnow.com/autojuice…

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6,977 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Body found in ocean near lava viewing area

That is not good news. Good reason not to venture out there after dark with out an experienced guide. Prayers for all involved.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,039 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Body found in ocean near lava viewing area

I agree except the "after dark" part. The last visitor who died out there just a few weeks ago was in the afternoon. If this current death or deaths was the result of a shelf collapsing, as happens a lot, it could have occurred any time of day.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,589 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Body found in ocean near lava viewing area

That's awful and especially with that many cars there- does not sound good. Please keep us informed.

Kona
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Body found in ocean near lava viewing area

It was a young woman; very tragic!

Another story:

damontucker.com/2013/…

Volcano, Hawaii
Level Contributor
566 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Body found in ocean near lava viewing area

There were a lot of people standing at the cliff edge last night, crowding around each other. It got a bit scary. All it takes is one slip, or an accidental push or shove and somebody goes over the edge.

On top of that, the same bench that was out there when the crazy kayakers were out, is now completely gone. There are even overhangs on the cliff, where crowds of 50+ people decide to stand. I imagine that the slightest trigger can cause a part of the cliff to break away. Maybe a few hundred, or a few thousand extra pounds of weight on something that may not be as stable as it looks?

There are some serious dangers out there right now, and lots of people hiring "experts" who claim to be "geologists", who have no permission from from certain property owners to cross their land. Some sort of regulation is needed, and more so than ever. The bodies are starting to pile up, and within a short period of time. People are getting overconfident, and taking paid guests into very bad situations.

There is a safety meeting scheduled this friday at Uncle Roberts place. Anybody who does any kind of business on the lava field is invited to join, including all lava boat tour operators.

We have a Geology professor from the University of Hawaii coming to join the conversation.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,039 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Body found in ocean near lava viewing area

Thanks so much for keeping this community informed, Lavaguyd, and for doing what you do every day to keep people safe!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Body found in ocean near lava viewing area

Quote from the HVO website...please people heed this warning:

HAZARD ALERT: Lava entering the ocean builds lava deltas. The lava delta and adjacent areas are some of the most hazardous areas on the flow field. Frequent delta/bench collapses give little warning, can produce explosions capable of throwing both dense and molten rocks hundreds of meters (yards) in all directions (inland as well as out to sea), and can produce damaging local waves. The steam plume produced by lava entering the ocean contains fine lava fragments and an assortment of acid droplets that can be harmful to your health. The rapidly changing conditions near the ocean entry have been responsible for many injuries and a few deaths.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
14,469 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Body found in ocean near lava viewing area

Doesn't sound like a fun way to die. I'll just watch from waaaaaaaay back here, thank you.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,037 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Body found in ocean near lava viewing area

I am glad someone reads the warning and takes it seriously. I have posted that same excerpt numerous times to queries about the lava boat tours, and have seen it shrugged off.

This is very sad. Poor girl, whose quest to see lava came to such an awful end.

I imagine the lava boat that found her had passengers. It must have been sobering for them. Even though I think the lava boat tours are reckless, glad to see they did the right thing and stayed with her so that she was not lost.

We still do not know why four cars stayed overnight. One island car and three rentals ... Suggests a "guide" and customers. Obviously it could be random, but that's what it would look like if a guide and his or her clients went into the ocean. Let's hope not.

Shea thanks for posting this. I learned of it through you.

Lavaguyd, I and surely all of us here appreciate so much what you do, your concern for others, your pro-active efforts to increase safety for your community! Hope the meeting leads to changes.

Edited: 6:47 pm, May 28, 2013
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,037 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Body found in ocean near lava viewing area

Oh, I forgot to say that a Kapoho resident posted locally that the Search and Rescue helos were all over the coastline at Kapoho and north this morning. Sounds like a wide search. I don't know which way the prevailing currents run from the ocean entry, anyone?

I am just thinking that they found the young woman, so they may think there are others to look for.

If you recall the guy who posted his video links here recently, he and his friends had been told by Kalapana locals (IIRC) that the way to get around lava viewing area security was to go out after 10 PM. He linked a video of the three of them trekking out late, much later than the tour groups go out there. They were all alone.

It could be that there was a bench collapse when only an illegal group was there after hours, which would explain why with all the crowds, no one saw or heard anything last night, and why cars were left at the viewing area that should have been out of there at 10 PM.

Just spec of course ...