We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodations reservation

Accomodations reservation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:44 pm, March 28, 2013
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,274 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Accomodations reservation

There's some problems with this proposed plan. First is why stay in Kona when you're going to be driving up north a lot of those days, and Kailua Kona is miserable in September? Secondly, your 9/21 day makes no sense, you want to take the Hamakua coast road, not saddle road. You're also missing all of the upcountry that you seem to want to see, like Waimea and Hawi, or Waipio Valley.

I would totally revamp this. You have six nights. Stay in Waimea or Hamakua or the Kohala Coast for four nights. Day 1 Arrive early, explore north Hawaii; Pu'ukohola Heiau, Lapakahi state park, Mookini Heiau, Pololu Valley, Kohala Mountain Road, Waimea. Day 2 explore the Mauna Lani, fishponds, Puako petroglyphs, Anaehoomalu and the Malama petroglyph field at Waikoloa Beach. Day 3, hike into Waipio Valley and up the Mulawai trail, visit Waimea and Honokaa. Day 4, visit Kukio and Kikaua Point, Holualoa village, Kailua Kona. Day 5, drive to Volcano via the southern route, stop at Puuhonua O Honaunau, Punaluu black sand beach, south point, arrive Volcano late afternoon/evening. Visit lava glow (assuming its still going on) at night from Jaggar Museum. day 6, hike VNap, visit Puna sites. day 7, cruise through Hilo, Rainbow Falla, depart.

Alternatively, utilize the same general itinerary above, but stay north 3 nights, then South Kona one night, Volcano one night, Hilo last night. I usually don't recommend so much moving around but as a single traveler with no interest in relaxation or beaches, it could work for you.

I'm assuming you can change your flights and fly into Kona nd out of Hilo, there should be no reason you can't change that. If for some bizarre reason you insist on flying into and out of KOA, I'd do three nights north, Hilo or Volcano two nights, and Kailua Kona one night.

22. Re: Accomodations reservation

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:03 am, March 28, 2013
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,550 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Accomodations reservation

Yes, I too think this has significant problems ...

But first, could you please post where you plan to spend the night at each turn? You had said Kailua and Hilo, but now the night of the 19th you appear to stop in Volcano. You then are in Hilo one night? And then the last night on the west side, where are you?

You can get rentals without a drop fee from Hilo to Kona, FYI. Look at Hawaii Discount Car Rental; most here swear by their rates. It costs quite a bit to drive across the island, so subtract that from your drop fee if you have one.

Your resistance does start to feel somewhat like stubbornness, because we try to help and you're not responding. Your itinerary shows that you don't understand the feel of the island at this point. I gave you two places to stay that are cheaper than Seaside and not in the center of cheesy tourist land, but you seem to be bent on Kailua-Kona for reasons that I can't fathom. We're not kidding about the awful muggy gray weather there in September.

No one would ever suggest driving from Hilo to Laupahoehoe, the hardest part of the cross island drive, then turning around and back to Hilo, then up the mountain to the Saddle and over.

The Saddle does not have an incredible view in terms of seeing the ocean. It has an interesting terrain, definitely.

Why do you mention the start gazing being great when star gazing is not in your itinerary? You're going to drive to Laupahoehoe, back to Hilo, up 9000 feet to the MK VIS, see the star gazing, then back down and drive the Saddle at night to the Seaside? That is really pushing it.

Then there is the day where you drive from VNP to Hilo via Lava Tree and Ahalanui. This is an awful plan, because not only are these places not anywhere on the way, but they are two of the most theft prone places you can find to park, and you'll have all your stuff with you. Not to mention Ahalanui has bacterial issues.

Also, you seem to be cruising through VNP but not getting anything done there?

Back to the earlier trip, your Day 2 on the 18th says from Kohala to Kona, but you can't be starting in Kohala because you said you went back to Kona the night before. In any case, it makes no sense at all to drive up to the north two days in a row. Not efficient at all.

If you're going to see ancient ruins, you have got to see Mo'okini, and it's not on your list, and neither is Lapakahi.

Note: most likely your car is not allowed to drive South Point Road, and you will need to check on both the Saddle and the Mauna Kea access road. You cannot drive your rental to the summit.

btw, I don't like to fly at all either, and have no problem understanding that. I will say though that if I'm going to fly on a day, I'd rather do all the flying than fly twice. The inter-island flight is only 40 minutes or so. HNL airport is a pain to get to and from, and it's very busy, so I would not go there four times. I would do all the Oahu visit at one time. Most likely I would connect from LA, straight to KOA or ITO, as there is no customs on that trip and even for unhappy fliers like me it is not a big deal. You don't leave security and just a short walk over to inter-island, and you have just saved yourself a day of dealing with airports, rental car desk, flying.

I cannot imagine making myself go through a "flying day" for one 40 minute flight that could have been dealt with as part of another fly day.

Edited: 8:09 am, March 23, 2013
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,274 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Accomodations reservation

I understand how it can be hard to drop an idea once you've settled on it, but in this case you really do have some misconceptions about several parts of the island and the driving involved, so a map will help. It sounds like you get that and are willing to go back and have another look.

I agree with everything KK wrote. The drop fee is nothing compared to the gas you'll be buying with your current plan. I also don't really see you having time for Mauna Kea, but if you do fit in, note you cannot take a rental car up to the summit, except for the pricey 4wds from Harpers, so you'll need to otherwise take a summit tour, which are quite expensive.

Your plan would also really benefit from adding a couple of nights to the Big Island.

I completely agree with KK re doing your Oahu trip all together, saving yourself the extra flight legs.

25. Re: Accomodations reservation

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:02 am, March 28, 2013
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,274 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Accomodations reservation

Pretty much everyone here has said that your initial plan wouldn't work for various reasons, starting from the very first response post.

You shouldn't be insulted by the map suggestion, it was not at all clear you had studied a map because you started out saying you didn't think the island was very big and you've ended with an itinerary that is fairly impossible or at least illogical, with a lot of backtracking and strange routes that a good map would have not lead you too. You also stated in your last post that you are posting out of ignorance but now suddenly you're insulted that we have suggested some resources. It's frustrating for us because we're just trying to help here, and you've gotten really excellent advice that you now seem angry about. No one has asked you to apologize, and we're all trying to work within the parameters you have. No one has suggested that you change your RTW ticket.

Regarding rental car contracts, are you saying you have already booked a rental car and read the contract? Your other posts implied you had not booked a car yet, so how could you have read the contract? Each agency has a different one, and they all vary as to what roads are allowed and which aren't. It's very common advice here to read through your rental contract, most people don't or can't until they get here, it wasn't an "insult".

Hopefully you can take all of the excellent info you've gotten and come up with an enjoyable itinerary. Both your budget and timeframe are totally doable, it's just the other logistics we're trying to help you sort out, but there's not much incentive to do so when the person we're trying to help gets bent out of shape without reason.

Edited: 6:41 pm, March 23, 2013
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,550 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Accomodations reservation

I'm sorry you disliked my post.

I was more emphatic about the problems in this itinerary in my last post, because I didn't feel I had gotten through by being gentler.

There is nothing behind my posts but trying to help. To give you a glimpse of the other side -- last night I was very tired after a long day, but I saw you post just before going to bed, and decided to take MY time, at 1 AM or something like that, to try to give you some feedback while you were online, instead of half a day later. There is a person here trying to help you get the picture of a place you have never been.

If you want to really understand the drives here, you can use Google Street view to virtually traverse the road from Hilo to Laupahoehoe and back and then from Hilo up to the Saddle and up to Mauna Kea and back to Kona, and you will see what it's like (except it would be dark on the way back to Kona). Please understand we have no highway lighting on the island, only reflectors and painted lines, and no ambient light due to laws that limit ambient light on the island to facilitate stargazing. It is black black here in the middle of the Pacific.

>>> my RTW plane itinerary is fixed, as are the earliest date when I can leave and the latest when I must come back, while travelling something like 50 000 kms. In a 3 month period. I'm not gonna keep apologizing for that.

I never suggested you should apologize for that or made any statement about the RTW ticket at all.

In your last post, you indicated that it is NOT set in stone whether you stopover on Oahu before proceeding to the Big Island:

"As I believe I stated, flying doesn't agree with me and I try to insert land time between flight instead of for example landing in Honolulu then hopint on a flight to Hawaii which I understand would be much more efficient, and as the flight from LA is only 6 hours, I might consider it anyway."

All I did was to encourage you to go with what you already said you were considering, reinforcing your own comment that doing two separate flight dates was inefficient. I empathized with your feelings about flying, but encouraged you that continuing on to Kona would be short and painless, and ultimately much less anxiety producing than adding another airport/flight day.

You said you cannot change your flights from Honolulu and back, but you also said you would consider changing to LAX-HNL-KOA on one day, which is a mixed message. I took that to mean you cannot change the ROUTE but you can change the DATES, which is consistent with my experience on booked tickets.

How in the world you turned that into me criticizing your general RTW plan I cannot fathom.

You asked for a response on your tour of the Big Island, and I gave it. I allowed for the fact that you want to be on the go constantly for the seven days, and didn't advise you to add in any relaxation or catch-up time, which many people would. I just went with what you wanted to see, and told you the basic Point A to B doesn't work well because of all the backtracking.

I also asked you to clarify where you are staying on these nights, because it didn't add up with what you had already stated about only staying at Seaside and Dolphin Bay. You didn't respond.

I will bow out now. I was genuinely interested in helping you to a better tour of the island according to the interests you gave us, and my suggestions for lodging involved LESS expenditure. Sorry you didn't see that.

California
Level Contributor
866 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Accomodations reservation

SheaG and KK, sometimes you just can't win. Both of you do a tremendous job giving your time to help tourists, and I know the majority of us appreciate you very much.

LA
Level Contributor
10,043 posts
1 review
Save Reply
29. Re: Accomodations reservation

Welll, I've bumbled my way around The Big Island several times before realizing it is a REALLY BIG ISLAND and you can really waste time by not planning logically.

Some of us even explored it before TripAdvisor and the internet even existed. Yes. Pre-history.

Do whatever you want. You'll have a great time.

But it can be better if you look at what SheaG and KK have carefully outlined for you. .

Edited: 12:16 am, March 24, 2013
30. Re: Accomodations reservation

Removed on: 6:02 am, March 28, 2013