We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodations reservation

Accomodations reservation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:44 pm, March 28, 2013
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,274 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomodations reservation

Aloha Mari and welcome to the forum. Hawaii doesn't really work well with the drive until you find a motel approach - you really do need to have your lodging booked ahead. For the Big Island, a split does work well, especially if you want to spend time in Volcano National Park, so it really depends on what your main focus is. If you really want beach time or snorkeling/diving, you will want to be Kona side. 7 days isn't lots of time, so you may want to do 1-2 days in Volcano or Hilo and then the rest in Kona area, but again, depends on what you are doing. What is your nightly lodging budget? Is this a solo trip, couple or family? If you can share a bit more info, it would be helpful. Also, do know you will need to have a car reserved ahead. Happy planning! :)

Edited: 11:58 am, March 20, 2013
LA
Level Contributor
9,946 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomodations reservation

99%+ visitors pre-book accomodations in Hawaii.

There are essentially no motels by the side of the road in Hawaii. You will waste valuable time trying to find a suitable accomodation in your budget. You will be subject to fully-booked hotels or high rates or unattractive rooms.

Spend 5 nights on the west side, 2 on the east. Yes, you will have at least one day when your car has your luggage in it.

Plan by the number of Nights of accomodation. Add 13%or so tax on top of the listed price.

If you give us a nightly budget we can give some advice. A list of hotels can be found on the upper right hand column.

3. Re: Accomodations reservation

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,274 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accomodations reservation

I am a budget traveler and have found places in the $75-$100 range, though most of these are simple condos. I generally use vrbo.com for this. I buy my own food though I did stay at a B&B in Hilo. So I do think your budget is doable in a nutshell, and usually the good places that are inexpensive do book up. :)

Canada
Level Contributor
9,167 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accomodations reservation

>>>>"As the island is not that big"<<<<<<

Oh.....it's pretty BIG....You definitely want to have pre-selected and reserved accommodations in place prior to arrival.

Seeking clarification regarding your nightly accommodation budget? You mention $150/ night all in, which I take to mean all taxes/ fees........then you mention $130 and below and speak of "breakfast".Is that $150 daily projection including room &food??

A nightly budget of $125 - 150 not including taxes would get you a nice newer condo on the west side within the Waikoloa Beach Resort.Look at Beach villas, or Fairway Villas.There are not any motels that you would "happen upon".....or any that come to mind for a recommendation.

Condo discounts are usually offered for stays great than a week.As you are planning on visiting both sides of the Island reserve a one way drop off for your rental car(car hire) for most efficient use of time

The time of your visit is not high season, but I would still but a courtesy hold on a vehicle now....and then check back for price drops.

6. Re: Accomodations reservation

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accomodations reservation

Better to pick just one island unless you have forever to stay. The Big Island for example Is nice to do a mix of maybe 5 nights Waikoloa area (South Kohala) and maybe 3 nights Hilo or Volcano, then maybe 3 nights Captain Cook to Kona. You will not run out of things to do at 11 nights.

The lowest budget hotels that are reasonalbe will be no lower than $60 per night to $100 such as Manago Hotel, Kamuela Inn, My Island B&B, Dolphin Bay Hotel, etc. Typically these will be basic accomodations and usually not real close to the beaches. That should be your minimum expectation then maybe shop up to nicer condo choices or hotels.

For rental car look at a site like Alamo Car Rental to see what the starting pirce will be. Then Discount Hawaii will be typically allot lower. If so use that as your back up reservation and shop sites like Hotwire to get even lower. Economy cars will go no lower than $20 per day w/ tax assuming low season.

If you arrive during a holiday or special event or prime travel months w/ no reservations then you will either be sleeping in you car (not cool) or have to pay way more over your budget. Last time to the Big Island as a budget traveler I paid around $1000 a week for everything w/ a free plane ticket. So you should have at least thatn much to spend as a bare minimum. Do your accomodation reservations once you have locked in a car and plkane ticket.....not a good idea to wait.

Edited: 5:38 pm, March 20, 2013
8. Re: Accomodations reservation

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,023 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accomodations reservation

Hi Mari,

Hope I am not too late ...

I would suggest for you something different than the usual.

There are wonderful historic sites in North and South Kohala, and in South Kona. I don't see the Seaside as a fun place to stay AT ALL. We have many nicer little places to stay for a single traveler than the very center of cheesy tourist action on the island.

In Hawi, there is Kohala Village Inn. A two minute walk to the Kohala Coffee Mill, where you can have your simple breakfast in a charming little village. There are some cheap places to eat in the area. You can use this as a base to tour the historic heiau.

KVI offers a single for $70-80 before tax.

kohalavillageinn.com/Suite_Queen_Bed_Wireles…

Hawi has clean air and is refreshing in the oh so hot month of September. I would not stay in Kailua Kona in September, no way.

As you seem easy with moving a lot, you could do a second stay in the coffee country (where it is cool), say at Hotel Manago or find a small ohana rental or a rustic B&B. They have cheap ones down there. From there you can tour the Pu'uhonua 'O Honaunau and go down to Ka Lae, South Point.

Hilo is rather light on Polynesian culture. It has natural lush beauty and a strong plantation era and missionary heritage. The Japanese influence is strong, and I find it extremely interesting, but it's not Polynesian. One exception is the Imiloa center which is set up with exhibits on voyaging canoes and celestial navigation. I'm not sure why there aren't historic ruins in Hilo, but I'm thinking lava flow has something to do with that.

I would certainly recommend a visit to Volcano, and probably to stay there instead of Dolphin Bay. There are certain dates when there are classic hula exhibitions at the crater rim, although it would be luck if they fall within your visit.

I really highly recommend Hawi for your interests. It is very affordable because it has no beaches, but yet it is the birthplace of Kamehameha I and rich in history.

September is the Aloha Festival, very rich in culture, and on all islands. When are your dates?

Edited: 8:17 pm, March 21, 2013
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,023 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accomodations reservation

Here is the Big Island calendar as of today for Sept. 2013. So many terrific events that month for a culture and history buff!

http://www.konaweb.com/calendar/#SEP

While much is TBA, the Slack Key Festival is always Labor Day weekend, and the Queen Liliu'okalani Festival is always on Sunday, usually the last of the month, and the day after the Hilo Ho'olaulea, a block party where the old downtown is shut down to car traffic. The breadfruit festival is around the same time.

On different islands different dates there will be various events revolving around the "royal court" of the Aloha Festival.

This is for Oahu:

www.alohafestivals.com/pages/events/oahu.html

The hula kahiko performance at the crater at sunset, is not listed for September, though I see it for August. Here though is the Volcano Art Center page on events, and they can be contacted with questions.

volcanoartcenter.org/component/content/artic…