We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay"

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay"

We are family of 3 (2 adults and one teenage daughter) are traveling to Hawaii for the first time and know nothing about accommodations there. I am looking for a decent hotel or BB or special lodging that has an access to the calm beach for 6 nights in August. I'd like to stay on a budget of no more than $230 a night. A friend recommended Hilton but it looks like it's very expansive, and there is no real beach there. Just a lagoon. Maybe it's OK?

Texas
Level Contributor
816 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay"

For starters, you may wish to read the info on the side of this page, "Where to stay on the west side; Kona districts vs. Kohala districts.

Toronto
Level Contributor
399 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay"

Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel may be within your budget. Nice hotel on a great beach.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,315 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay"

Right, the Hilton doesn't have beach access and is really large and lacking in Hawaiiana.

That budget is low for a beach hotel (there are no b&bs here with any beach access of note). The Hapuna Prince is probably your best bet, or a big step up in hotel quality, the Fairmont Orchid, which often has deals keeping it in the low 200s, depending on dates.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,880 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay"

So are you traveling to the Big Island specifically? Just wanted to make sure as islands are often confused. I love the Big Island, but have you researched all the islands? What all are you hoping to do and see while in Hawaii? Anything in particular? It would really be helpful to have a few more details. :)

Edited: 1:23 pm, February 21, 2013
Kona
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay"

I would never recommend either the Hilton (noisy huge Disneyland style) or the Hapuna (for many reasons). With your budget you should be able to find a nice condo in South Kohala, which sounds like it might match your travel style.

Check on VRBO for condos in Kohala for your dates.

LA
Level Contributor
10,044 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay"

Do you mean your first trip to the Hawaiian Islands or your first trip to the The Big Island of Hawaii?

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay"

We are flying to Oahu, staying there for 3 days, then Big Island for 6 nights and Maui for 7 nights. Any suggestions?

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay"

First time in Hawaii islands...not just Big Island

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay"

Thanks. I will check this out.

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay"

Last year we traveled to St.Maarten and rented a very nice big condo right on the beach. The condo was very clean however there were huge roaches coming to us from outside (or somewhere else in the building). My daughter was terrified and nice vacation was ruined. I am afraid of condo renting now.