We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mauna kea luau

Silver Spring, MD
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
mauna kea luau

I've read good things about the Luau at the Mauna Kea Hotel...and that there are half price coupons available for it. Anyone know how to get your hands on such a discount?

New Bern, NC
Level Contributor
54 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mauna kea luau

The only place that I saw a 1/2 price coupon was on a map given out by Hawaiian Airlines.

We stayed at the Mauna Kea a couple of weeks ago and went to the luau--we were a little disappointed. We weren't really impressed by the food and we had poor service, which seemed odd because we had nothing but excellent service everywhere else at the resort. The show seemed a little cheesy, but we figured that most luaus these days are this way. In all fairness, we would probably have felt the same way about the other luaus on the island. We usually don't care for the touristy stuff, but thought we'd give the luau a try...

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
839 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mauna kea luau

nbchica -

I asked you this on another post but wanted to make sure you see it. How was the clambake? I have reservations but will cancel them if it's not a stellar experience.

Silver Spring, MD
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mauna kea luau

nbchica: We shy away form the touristy stuff too, but I read some good reviews about the Mauna Kea's Luau in the comments about the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel -- next door to the MK. Do I understand correctly that the Luau and Clam Bake are two separate events? Thanks

Rochester Hills, MI
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: mauna kea luau

yes, they are different events.

The clam bake was very tasty to both my husband and i.

lots of very fresh food, prime rib, lobster, sashimi....

It was worth the 80$ pp.... just our opinion though

New Bern, NC
Level Contributor
54 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mauna kea luau

The clambake was much better than the luau, though we weren't super impressed by either. I think we should have taken the money we had spent at the clambake and gone out for a nice dinner. Part of the problem was the service--it was nearly impossible to get a drink refill and our waitress was being very attentive to the surrounding tables, but ignored us. The worst part is that gratuity is included which would have been fine had we actually received decent service. We understand that there were a lot of people there to take care of, but for $80 a person (plus tax and gratuity), we expected a little better. Everywhere else at the resort, the service was wonderful. I suspect that the staff used at the luau and the clambake are not their regular staff, but I could be wrong.

austin, texas
Level Contributor
580 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mauna kea luau

As of last May, the 50% off coupon was in only one of the circulars that you find in hotel lobbies/brochure stands...it was a top to bottom of the page add put only 1/3 of the page wide....do look for it because you will be robbed if you pay full price and don't have to.

SLC, Utah
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: mauna kea luau

We didn't do the luau, but we did do the clambake a few weeks ago. It was underwhelming, but the setting was nice. Our waitress was pretty attentive, but somehow we didn't enjoy that evening (or the food) as much as we did when we ate at the Pavilion restaurant or away from the resort. I'm not a huge seafood fan, but my husband is, and he thought the whole thing was just okay.

--MKSpring

Oakland, Mi
Level Contributor
165 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mauna kea luau

I just looked at my Hawaiian map from Hawaiian Air and the coupon for the M K lu'au reads: 50% off the second seating-- Adults $79, children $38 -- every Tuesday night.

We stayed at Hapuna and walked over to the M K and it is a beautiful oceanfront seating -- the stage is really small though. We went to the Kona Village Resort lu'au on Friday night and enjoyed the food and dancing. They move the program right along -- there was also a wedding party in attendance -- a large stage, theatre lighting -- the performers will also come forward to the head of the tables and dance. We felt we got our money's worth in food and entertainment.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
839 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mauna kea luau

Some clambake questions: Does everyone sit at large tables like at a luau or are there small individual tables? What is the setting like? Do you get into a long buffet type line to get your food? I generally hate buffets but the sound of lovely MK beach and eating lots of lobster sounds ideal...

New Bern, NC
Level Contributor
54 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mauna kea luau

Sunshine3--the clambake we went to was rained out so they had to move it up by the bar, which wasn't bad. We were all seated at individual tables. The food was spread out in different stations and it never felt like we were in a buffet line.