We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with kids

Montreal
Level Contributor
212 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling with kids

Aloha everyone,

My husband and I going to Island of Hawaii last week of February. We are traveling with 2 kids: 7 years old and 9 month old baby. We will be staying south of Kona for a week and will have a car.

I read lots of posts with different opinions related to safety and still trying to figure out what we can and cannot do. We are looking for safe activities for all family, ideally together, as we have no one to watch little one.

-Our oldest one loves snorkeling. Is there any boat/catamaran company that will take as with baby? Any safe places out of shore for snorkeling?

-VNP, I just checked status of fumes from volcano, right now it is green. Can we visit it with baby if it is still green when we are there? What is safe elevation to go until?

-I am a big lover of orchids. Looking for great place to see different kinds.

-Looking for good place to enjoy Hawaiian culture, music and dance. Is there any lessons or specialized tours that are kids friendly? May be a dinner show, but with small dance time at the end.

-Any other advises related to young kids will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any comments.

Masha

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,274 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Traveling with kids

I forgot to mention that I also like the Kikaua Point/Kukio beach area, about 30 minutes south of Hapuna. It has a very lovely sheltered lagoon popular with families, and extensive fish ponds, wetlands, lots of turtles, and long stretches of beach for strolling, plus a nice area for the adults to snorkel just out past the sea arch.

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
205 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Traveling with kids

I stayed in the same area where you are, and like others have said, it is not ideal. However, you will just have to make the best and we still had a great time regardless of the poor choice of locations. We went for 12 days last year, spending a week in Kailua-Kona and 2 nights each in Hilo and Volcano. Our kids were 8 months, 2 and 4. We are going again in a few weeks!

The best beaches are in Waikoloa area, and you will be driving 40 minutes north for them. I agree that Kikaua Point is the best of the best for young children. My kids spent a whole day there and still didn't want to leave. You can snorkel from shore in that area.

The farmers markets were great with children. They also loved the wood playgrounds in Waimea and south of Kona (Hagashihara) which are unlike anything anywhere else. Hilo Zoo is wonderful, and your older child will also probably enjoy Rainbow and Akaka Falls.

We visited VNP and had absolutely no problems whatsoever, other thana bit too much rain. The NPS does a wonderful job communicating real time air quality information both on their website and in the park. There were many other families with children there. IMO it would be a shame to miss it, but you have to weigh the possible risks, check out the situation the day you are there, and decide. They loved the Thurston lava tube and the view of the glow at night. They still talk about the volcano constantly. At the time we visited last winter, the air quality in the towns through the southwest part of the island was far worse than in the main areas of VNP -and these are towns with hundreds of children living in them :( Driving through some areas on the highway we had to shut up our air system and drive as fast as possible!

A few general tips: you MUST take a good baby carrier like an Ergo because most of the things you want to do are easy walks but not stroller friendly. Just bring an umbrella stroller for the rest of it. Make sure your kids have proper footwear--something that stays on in water and has traction for rocks--before coming. Bring light outerwear for your children that works in rain, chances are you will need it at some point. I don't recommend bringing a lot of other kid stuff with you -- just what you need for the trip, then stock up on diapers, babyfood and snacks at Walmart or Target when you get there. We also bought beach toys there, then just passed them on to another family who was arriving when we left.

13. Re: Traveling with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 20, 2014