We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Hawaii in February, 2013 - need some help, please.

Manlius, New York
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visiting Hawaii in February, 2013 - need some help, please.

We're a group of four, two adults and 2 kids of age 4 and 14. For the first time, we're going to Hawaii for 9N10D. Bought tks from NY to HON. Now, don't have any idea where to start, where to go, should we rent a car to drive or fly from one island to another. Need some advice. We really appreciate in advance for help............

Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Visiting Hawaii in February, 2013 - need some help, please.

Hi Suchda! I am also travelling to hawaii in Feb 2013, dont worry I havnt booked anything either as of yet. We are doing a similar time frame there 10 days, so what we are planning on doing is flying into Oahu then getting a flight straight to Hilo ( The big Island) spending 3 days here renting a car and driving round looking at all the beautiful scenery staying in a B & B near the volcanos then flying back to Honolulu for the remainder 7 nights to chill with mai tais and shop. I think that what everyone on here has suggested is right, you'll prob only want to to do 2 Islands in that time especially with children. I actually didnt realise Feb was a busy time as I have been told it wont be as busy due to kids going back to school etc. So today I am trying to sort my accomodation out. I have found the cheapest deals for hotels is usually on the hotels website not on expedia, hotels.com etc. Good luck with your trip!!!!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,210 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Visiting Hawaii in February, 2013 - need some help, please.

<<I actually didnt realise Feb was a busy time as I have been told it wont be as busy due to kids going back to school etc. >> So not true. Why? Whale season. Folks fleeing nasty winter weather on the Mainland. At least one, and sometimes 2 long weekends. Valentine's Day - meaning lots of weddings, anniversaries and general mushy-ness.

Please make sure that your cars are reserved pronto.

Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Visiting Hawaii in February, 2013 - need some help, please.

Wow ok thanks I will get booking and reserving pronto! So whale season and valentines day are big over there? can't wait! any recommendations for car hire companies and the best tour company to book for Pearl harbour online before we get there?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,578 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Visiting Hawaii in February, 2013 - need some help, please.

hi Skye, actually this is the wrong forum to ask about Pearl Harbor. BLBL is a DE for Oahu and can help you out, but in general ask Oahu questions on that forum, whole different set of people and lots of expertise you won't get here.

>>> So whale season and valentines day are big over there? can't wait!

yes, people love to see whales, and Maui and the Big Island get the most migrating whales.

I see now you're from Australia and maybe not familiar with out holiday pattern. In the USA we have a big winter holiday that combines what used to be two holidays (Lincoln and Washington's birthdays) into one President's Day holiday. It's the only national holiday where schools close until Spring Break, and many schools on the mainland close for a week to have "ski week" where supposedly people go hit the slopes.

It's the only holiday where working people have a paid day off until Easter. It's a HUGE travel time, and because it's so cold in most of the mainland, Hawai'i is a big destination.

It's not that Valentine's Day is big here in terms of more fun stuff to do. It's kind of a pain really, competing for a seat in a restaurant if one wants to eat out.

Think about how many people do romantic stuff on Valentine's Day. Trip to Hawai'i, big romantic gesture. Then how many people get married on V-day. One of the biggest wedding dates if not the biggest outside of June. Getting married in Hawai'i -- another romantic dream, so we have lots of weddings going on.

Then take all the couples who got married here on V-day in the past coming back for their milestone anniversaries. Don't forget vow renewals.

All of this energy converging on Hawai'i in mid-February.

Then add all the Canadians who come for extended visits every year, and Alaskans, and retirees from wintry weather states who don't want to be in the cold.

The island will run out of rental cars, most likely.

Most people book this period a year in advance or more.

Good luck!

Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Visiting Hawaii in February, 2013 - need some help, please.

Wow thank you, you have been most helpful in explaining this time of year to me. I will get busy in locking cars and hotels in. Im trying to find a good reasonably priced b & b on the big island at the moment. I have the hotel in waikiki we will be staying at the Outrigger on the beach.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,386 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Visiting Hawaii in February, 2013 - need some help, please.

This is not a great island for b&bs, they are usually located in really inconvenient areas and aren't that great, at least on the west side. Volcano and Hilo have better options in that regard.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,578 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Visiting Hawaii in February, 2013 - need some help, please.

Skye,

may I suggest you start your own topic and we try to help you out?

We're hijacking the OP's topic at the moment, which we try not to do.

Let us know how long you are coming, the dates, the airport (if set or flexible), how many in your party, nightly lodging budget before tax, and your reason for coming (what you plan for this island).

28. Re: Visiting Hawaii in February, 2013 - need some help, please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 09, 2014