We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waipio Valley

3 posts
Save Topic
Waipio Valley

Does anybody have thoughts on the Waipio valley tours. Is it worth it? Most of the tours seem to be priced between $75-$100...

Any insight will be appreciated! Thanks

tn, usa
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Waipio Valley

I've did it about 5 years ago, it was okay. the one that we went on was in a jeep and was a great off-road experience. I also went back a couple of years and hiked it. All-in-all it is not really a "must do" but it is gorgeous done there. it's no wonder why the kings used to go there. 75-100 bucks sounds about right. anything more, it's not worth it. it's a great easy, stay-on-the-road hike, and it will last about half the day. be sure to bring water though.

Gilbert
Level Contributor
952 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waipio Valley

My husband and I just drove down (in our rented 4x4) - shhh! (just kidding). It was a fun adventure for us, but we said next time we'd do a horseback ride. We hiked around for several hours but it's tough to get back to the waterfalls (you really need to know exactly where the trails are - and they can be tough to follow). Horseback would be much easier.

It's a neat place, but really I was more excited about the waterfalls than any of the other scenery there. There are NO shops, no anything down there - just a few quiet homes & farms. Bring lots of water & some bug spray.

I doubt I'd take a jeep tour.

Check out "Big Island Revealed" for recommendations on tour companies/horse back rides.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waipio Valley

Aloha

I live here and know the valley.........take a tour in a group.

Safety is worth a lot.

That is important as there are a number of ,shall we say, not good people who have there own ideas of fun there

. A goup is safe and don't wade the streams. They are rich in bio-material in this rainforest

Also the waters and rivers in the valley carry a waterbourn micorscopic critter that enters through the skin...... lots of folks get flu like symptoms a week later... I froget the name but it begins with Lept..... Its not Leprosy .

Honolulu, HI
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Waipio Valley

I've taken a horseback riding tour down into the valley and thought it was definitely worth it. It's extremely peaceful and beautiful - wouldn't be the same if you're riding in a Jeep. You will definitely get to see more on horseback than on foot (waterfalls, taro patches, beach, etc.). Also, the locals are very protective of their secluded paradise and may not look kindly upon you trespassing if you're not with one of the homebased tour groups.

Do NOT chance it by driving your rental car down there, even if it is a Jeep. It rains pretty frequently there and the dirt road is steep (45 degree angle) and slippery. Very hefty towing fee to get your car out if you're not used to navigating those conditions. We just shake our heads when we see naive tourists driving down on their own.

Be careful about wading/swimming in the freshwater streams and pools because Leptospirosis is commonly found in these bodies of water. It affects your immune system and can make you very sick.

3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Waipio Valley

Thanks everybody! Good to know about the Leptospirosis... will keep it in mind.

Could any of you recommend a good group to take the tour with and are making reservations recommended?

Thanks once again...

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Waipio Valley

I liked the Waipio valley shuttle (4WD) and our guide was one Mr.Kelly - he grew up there. It was a cool tour. We got to get out and take pictures down in the valley. He also showed us his farm of Taro etc. I did it in November and I think it came to 40$ I think.

Gilbert
Level Contributor
952 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waipio Valley

The authors of the Big Island Revealed book recommended a horseback riding company that went down into the valley. A friend of mine is heading over there this weekend and has my book, so I can't give you the name... but he's planning to do that same ride.