We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waipio Valley Shuttle

Norwich, CT, USA
Level Contributor
103 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Waipio Valley Shuttle

We are looking to take the shuttle into Waipio Valley as we are travelling with a child age 8. I have found many different fares for this shuttle online, anywhere from $35-55 per adult. Are there coupons or advertisements in recent editions of the tourist books available at the airports?

Are they at all flexible on the tour times? Can anyone recommend a great tour guide who is willing to answer lots of questions and maybe allow some extra stops or longer stops?

Thanks, Karen

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,522 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waipio Valley Shuttle

Why don't you do the Mule Wagon?

http://www.waipiovalleywagontours.com/

Sorry I know nothing about a "shuttle". We did the horseback ride there and it was great but your 8 year old is too young for that.

Norwich, CT, USA
Level Contributor
103 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waipio Valley Shuttle

Our main wish is that we want to get out of the shuttle and get to the beach. We don't want to just sit on our butts for 2 hours, then be done with a tour and back at the car.

The most ideal scenario would involve a ride to the valley floor, a walk to the beach, a 2-3 hour stay at the beach for relaxing, photography, and enjoying the view, then a shuttle ride back up the road. We are only renting a regular car, so driving ourselves is not an option. Our 8 year old is not capable of making the walk up and down the road, and I question my own ability to make this same walk. We do not want to hike around the valley floor or to any waterfalls, just spend some time at the beach.

If our only option is to walk it, I suppose we will walk it very slowly.

Karen

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Waipio Valley Shuttle

The trek is long, steep, and difficult. You probably shouldn't do it if you have an 8 year-old with you.

If your main priority is the beach...why not go to another beach that's more accessible? Waipio Valley is great from a scenic vantage point and if you want to see the waterfall...but the beach there pretty much looks and feels the same as any other beaches on the Big Island.

I've never seen a shuttle go up and down...$35-$55 shuttle ride is a little expensive IMO...but if you feel like you really need to go down to the valley floor, go for it!

Honokaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
393 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waipio Valley Shuttle

You can always take your chances and stick your thumb out. When I have room I usually give rides up or down the hill.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,767 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waipio Valley Shuttle

Waipi'o Valley Shuttle is a 4WD guided tour of the Valley that has been around a long time. It is NOT a take you down the hill and back shuttle.

I've taken this one, and it is narrated ... basically scripted as entertainment. So it's not going to be the type of tour that is flexible. You will be with other people you don't know, and you will follow a set tour.

Honokaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Waipio Valley Shuttle

Call and talk to Gary, he may be able to arrange a tour and dropoff/ pickup at the valley floor. An 8 year old would have a lot of trouble hiking both up and down a 25%grade and you would probably have even more trouble if you tried to carry the child back up. Walking down may be possible, but hitching a ride back up in the bed of someones pickup doesn't always happen and is really uncomfortable and even dangerous for you and your child. Talk with the owner Gary at Waipio Shuttle, anything is possible. One more thing The Waipio Valley and the black sand beach, which is split by Wailoa River is like no other on Big Island.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
129 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waipio Valley Shuttle

That hill wouldn't be fun for an adult to walk! I took the horseback riding tour with Na`alapa Stables and I felt like we were driving down and up a vertical slope. I can't believe it's only a 25% grade!

8. Re: Waipio Valley Shuttle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 17, 2013