We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Conde Nast article on the BI

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,041 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Conde Nast article on the BI

I really liked this article and it covers three adventurous hikes posters often ask about, Muliwai in Waipio Valley, the hike to surface lava flows with Volcano Discovery, and the hike to Papakolea (Green Sands).

cntraveler.com/islands/…

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,041 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Conde Nast article on the BI

I especially liked this part and wish more visitors here would heed it:

"But to walk the walk, I think, that’s the real thing. To come into a place at the proper speed, and with the proper effort: to remind yourself that, like everything, this too will someday be gone. That’s a kind of respect, isn’t it?"

Volcano, Hawaii
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Conde Nast article on the BI

Thanks for sharing! There's also a short travel guide based on his experiences with a slideshow:

cntraveler.com/islands/…1

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,617 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Conde Nast article on the BI

Thanks Shea ... I really enjoyed reading about their adventures too! Interesting & entertaining! Thanks VE for adding the travel guide.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,816 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Conde Nast article on the BI

Thanks for the link, great read about places I cannot get to! Safe travels, SheaG.

new hampshire
Level Contributor
453 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Conde Nast article on the BI

I just read that excellent article yesterday and shared it with my husband. We did a horseback ride into the valley recently and shared some of the very same feelings. We were also very lucky to get very up close and personal with lava back in 2007. Love the Big Islands diversity.

6. Re: Conde Nast article on the BI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 19, 2013