We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volcanic activity more than usual???

georgia
Level Contributor
111 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Volcanic activity more than usual???

Did the volcano have recent activity more than normal?? I thought I saw something about it on the news and then I missed the information while I was cooking diner. Sorry if I sound out of the loop on keeping up with the news...Could someone local or some informed traveler please help with information.I am traveling to the Big Island in June .

Thanks!!!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Volcanic activity more than usual???

We are headed to VNP this morning so I'll let you know what I find out. We did a helicopter tour on Wednesday and we caught some great views of the lava. In the steam vents (I think that is what they were called) we could watch the lava flow like waves crashing on a beach. AMAZING. At the ocean, we could see the lava pouring in as well. The guide told us we had a great day for the volcano, but I am always skeptical they say that to all the tourists so they feel better. Whether it was a better or worse day than others - I can tell you it was amazing for a first timer! I had prepared myself for the possibility we wouldn't see any lava - so what a great surprise!

Coldwater, MI
Level Contributor
137 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Volcanic activity more than usual???

Hangdog-what helicopter tour did you take? Was it out of HIlo or Kona?

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Volcanic activity more than usual???

the flow is pretty constant for the past year with small breakoputs of the PKK tube system through which it flows......It changes buy the hour but still discharges 500,000 cu meters a day

London
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Volcanic activity more than usual???

we were at the VNP mon-thursday. On Monday night there was an orange glow in the sky on Kilauea visible when you drove down chain of craters road and at the steam plume veiwing area because part of the lava tube roof had collapsed and so molten lava was showing through somewhere in the park. The rangers were hoping it might overflow and result in some surface lava flow but by the next morning it was gone (all sealed over) and the only lava viewable is the glow of it entering the ocean (sigh). sonia

georgia
Level Contributor
111 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Volcanic activity more than usual???

Awesome Information!!!! Thank you!! So up to date!!!! Keep any info. comming!

Thanks!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Volcanic activity more than usual???

Thriftytrip - we did the Blue Hawaiian tour out of Kona. It was just right for us. We had a great pilot and the views of the lava were amazing!

We drove to VNP on Saturday and there was nothing beyond the usual to see. We did see the steam coming off the ocean but didn't want to hike out on Chain of Craters Road too far and didn't stay past dusk. Still - it was amazing and totally worth the trip. We loved it and our kids (10 and 6) thought it was great.

Now we are on Maui - I am sitting on my lanai as I type this waiting for the kids to get ready to head to the pool/beach. I could get used to this!

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Volcanic activity more than usual???

The lava flow was clearly visible about 4 miles from the end of the road on Sunday. However, this changes daily, so call the VNP before you decide to go.