We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery Store between Kona Airport and Kohala Resorts

SLC, Utah
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Grocery Store between Kona Airport and Kohala Resorts

If I want to quickly stop and grab some fruit or some snacks on my way from the Kona Airport to the Kohala resort area, what would be the best place to stop? I don't necessarily need a huge grocery store, but if that's all there is, I would go there.

--MKSPring

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,416 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery Store between Kona Airport and Kohala Resorts

There are no grocery stores (or even mini-marts) between the airport and the resorts. While each resort has at least one small sundry store, they are really for sodas/beer, junk food and souveniers, not meaningful grocery shopping.

Otherwise you have three choices:

1. Head several miles south (away from the resorts) towards Kailua-Kona town, where there are a variety of stores up to and including Costco and WalMart;

2. Drive up to Waikoloa Village, which is seven miles inland from the Waikoloa Beach Resort. They have a supermarket and shopping center at the entrance to the village.

3. Drive past the last resort (Mauna Kea Beach) several miles to the little town of Kawaihae where there is a little superette.

Several of the resorts (notably Mauna Lani and Waikoloa) are planning larger grocery stores for their expanding communities...but it will be a couple of years.

Portland, OR, USA
Level Contributor
421 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery Store between Kona Airport and Kohala Resorts

Costco is not too far south from the airport. Could be worth going out of your way for.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery Store between Kona Airport and Kohala Resorts

Going south of the airport depend on the time of day you arrive.......if between 2 and 6 pm It can take as much an an hour. for get it

North there is nothing as others have pointed out..........zip for 18 miles

Costco has pizza and hot dogs but no local fruit or stuff except in bulk 4 milew south. The exception is they have some party trays,. Caution the wait here can be long when shoppers ar in full force..... and not all costco prices are cheap.... It has the highest steak and liquor prices here.

The Village Market, 8 miles fron the Waikoloa resort has the best meat... cheper than costco and better quality too....has a bakery, deli, butcher also.... and you will not have to drive an hour. The drive to Waimea is the same as to Kona

Tyhe kings shops have a food court

Hamakua
Level Contributor
393 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery Store between Kona Airport and Kohala Resorts

Aloha MKSpring,

If you notice any local people staying at the Kohala resorts, you will notice that they are all packing in coolers full of food. The food prices at the resorts are not exactly inexpensive.

Between the airport and the Kohala resorts there is a highway that runs through black lava fields. One lane one way, one lane the other way. That is pretty much it. No gas stations, no strip malls. Graffitti made of white rocks placed on black lava is about it. A sign or two warning about donkeys crossing the highway, although I've never seen any donkeys there.

There is a small general type store in Puako, although that may be on the other side of the Kohala resorts, depends on which resort. There is a nice grocery store in Waimea, KTA, but that is miles on the other side of the Kohala resorts.

A hui hou,

Hotzcatz

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery Store between Kona Airport and Kohala Resorts

I am surprised nobody mentioned Matsuyama's yet. Go South from the airport, make a left turn at the first traffic light just a few hundred yards from the airport (Kamininani Drive) and drive all the way to the top of the Kona Palisades subdivision. There is a fairly large supermarket there used mostly by the locals. (It's called Matsuyama's)

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,416 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery Store between Kona Airport and Kohala Resorts

TT...

I lived in one of the subdivisions (Ocean View/"Jolly Green Giant") just past Matsuyama's for years and shopped there often, and stopped by for old times sake to say "aloha" just a couple weeks ago.

Its a great store for beer, gas, rice, cigs and chips, but really not much else. For the most part the produce is pretty limited and poor (except for some local stuff), the meat typically frozen, and the overall selection just ain't happening.

Given the time necessary to drive up there, they would probably be better off going into town (or at least a mini-mart in that direction). Or, taking the drive up to Waikoloa Village upon getting to Kohala.

Can't help think someone would be disappointed if they drove all the way up there just to grocery shop.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grocery Store between Kona Airport and Kohala Resorts

another poinnt is that they are tearing up 190 and it will be even slower to get up there due to construction

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grocery Store between Kona Airport and Kohala Resorts

While Matsuyama's is not Safeway, it is a supermarket and certainly is a better choice to "grab some fruit or some snacks" than any of the convenience stores mentioned. It also is the closest to the airport. I wonder if you are thinking of the same store Amber, there is no "Ocean View" subdivision anywhere near there.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,416 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Grocery Store between Kona Airport and Kohala Resorts

Yes there is TT...

It is shown on tax maps (3) 7-3-03; identified as Keahole (nee "Kona Coast", its original name at development) View subdivision. I lived at 73-1XX Ahulani Drive for years.

A true local expert would recognize the name, and would surely know it as the "Jolly Green Giant Subdivision" as I mentioned...after the statue the guy used to have on his lanai.

I shopped at Matsuyama's for years, know the family, and helped them get their approvals for the Kohanaiki Industrial Subdivision down on Queen K Highway, which they developed.

In regards to elaspsed time, unless one recklessly speeds up and down Ka Imi Nani, they can't get to Mastu's any faster than Costco. And, the selection would be disappointing to most mainland folks; it is a classic Hawaii Mom & Pop superette with just has an overs-sized building around it.

Man, I try to support you guys, but long-term experience is lacking, and it is hard not to have sympathy for some of your critics.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grocery Store between Kona Airport and Kohala Resorts

"Ocean View" and "Keahole View" are not the same. I don't drive into every subdivision, therefore I don't know of the "Green whatever" on someone's lanai, but I lived here for 15 years. It's OK to disagree and I respect everybody's opinion but it seems you know everything better than anyone else. Maybe you should be an expert too.