We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which Airport to fly in to get to Big Island and other...

nyc
10 posts
Save Topic
which Airport to fly in to get to Big Island and other...

I was told that Honolulu was the Big Island, but from doing research, Honolulu is located on a totally different island itself, right? Does anyone know what airport I need to fly into to for Big Island? And what area of the Big Island do you recommend a large family stay at? We will be looking at timeshares, but don't know what the best area is to stay.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,543 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which Airport to fly in to get to Big Island and other...

Oahu is the island where Honolulu is. The Big Island is aka the Island of Hawaii, but called the Big Island to avoid confusion.

You'll fly into Kona or Hilo, depending on what side of the island you'll want to stay on.

Most of the resorts are in the Waikoloa area, but there are also some south of Kona, as well -- especially time shares.

Hamakua
Level Contributor
390 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: which Airport to fly in to get to Big Island and other...

Aloha,

Honolulu would like to be a big island, but in land mass, it is actually much smaller than the Big Island. Honolulu is on the island of Oahu which also has Waikiki, Diamond Head and Pearl Harbor. The Big Island, or the Island of Hawaii, has Hilo, Kona and Volcano National Park.

Once you decide which timeshare you will be at, then you will know which airport to arrive at. The Hilo and Kona airports are at least several hours apart.

Both Hilo and Kona have timeshares and condos, although Kona probably has more of them, not that I would really know, though since I don't use them myself. Kona is more of a resort town and Hilo is more of a home town place. The two towns have totally different characters and usually folks will definately prefer one or the other of them - as you might notice from other postings on this forum.

A hui hou!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which Airport to fly in to get to Big Island and other...

Well, there are no time-shares on the Hilo side.. And yes, thank you, the Big Island is nothing like Honolulu.

All but 2 time shares ate in Kona/Keauhou. The Kona Hawaiian Village or Royal Seacliff and Mauna Loa, are I think the best locations.

The Waikoloa Beach has only the Hilton s Bay club. and the area is a total family resort.. but can be remote and more expensive than Kona.

There are time shares in Waikoloa village some 8 miles away form the beach and not in a resort area.... there are 2- waikoloas... use caution