We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheraton Keauhou update

Claremont, CA
Level Contributor
6 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Sheraton Keauhou update

Before we went on our recent trip to the Big Island I read lots of forum reviews about the status of the Sheraton Keauhou resort. I'm happy to report that the upgrading of the resort is coming along just fine, but it's not yet finished even though the grand opening is next month, February.

We had a nice room (free--we used Starwood Points) on the fifth floor facing the ocean, a partial ocean view. The bed was great, the room service perfect. We enjoyed the hotel gym whch is right next to the hotel's restaurant facing the ocean so you have a terrific view while you're on the treadmill. The pool was only fair because it wasn't quite warm enough. They have a big slide for the kids, and serve food poolside at lunch.

Our biggest complaints about the hotel was that they have entertainment at night that is WAY TOO LOUD!!!! We thought they should have been wrapping things up before 10 PM for those of us who had rooms underneath the entertainment. Then, one night they had a special event with some lame singer and that lasted until 11 PM. At that point the hotel chose to tear down all the chairs and tables and drag the carts carrying the stuff across uneven pavement--which made a huge racket for another hour or so. When I complained to the front desk they offered no apology whatsoever. They just acted surprised.

The hotel also needs more furniture and plants in the common areas. But that will probably come in the weeks ahead.

Finally, the buffet breakfast is good, although nothing special. The service for breakfast is quite good, though. At night the restaurant serves food that is pretty typical of hotel restaurants: the description sounds better than what you get.

All in all I'd give the hotel 3 stars out of 5.

New York City
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sheraton Keauhou update

Does anyone know how far is this hotel from the Fairmont Orchid?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
968 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sheraton Keauhou update

Just from reading and looking into staying at the Sheraton I believe this hotel is around 25 minutes from the Fairmont.

I have been pondering on staying at the Sheraton on my trip or on up the north Kohala Coast towards where the Fairmont, hapuna etc are. I kept reading how secluded the Hapuna Prince was and how great the location of the Sheraton is. But after researching and getting other opionions, I am going to go with the Hapuna. The prices are great there and supposedly very good value for such a beautiful place according to trip adviser and fodor reviews. Its supposedly a very romantic setting with the Sheraton being down more in the touristy Kona area.

Manhattan Beach, CA
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sheraton Keauhou update

Actually, the Sheraton is more like 35 to 40 minutes from the Fairmont due to the traffic in Kona and on the Queen K highway.

As for the Sheraton v. the Kohala resorts: I have been to the Big Island several times and like the Keauhou area, but it does not have great beaches, and nearby Kona town is not so great. Most travelers looking for a classic resort are going to be much happier up at Hapuna Bay or one of the other Kohala resorts. If you can swing it (and it is a lot to swing) the Four Seasons Hualalai is one of the best resorts anywhere.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
968 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sheraton Keauhou update

Thanks for correcting me on that distance. I was not real sure when responding to "outtahere". Also, thanks for the info on the resorts. I would love to stay at the Four Seasons but not only is it out of my price range (going for $700 per night on the web sites) but I can't bring myself to pay that for a hotel room even if I did have it. I am going with the Hapuna Prince. The value seems much more reasonable.

Manhattan Beach, CA
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sheraton Keauhou update

Local (and reasonable) restaurant suggestions.

Just around the corner from the Hapuna Bay resort in the industrial port town of Kawaihae is a charming Italian restaurant called Cafe Pesto.

Also, if you go up to quaint Hawi (and you should to see a less touristy area of the island), there is a great local restaurant called the Bamboo that serves a Kailua pig (like Hawaiian pulled pork) that is to die for at about $10-12 dollars.

If you get tired of resort food, you may want to try one of these local gems.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
968 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sheraton Keauhou update

Thanks for the suggestions. After reading reviews, I was also considering Merriman's, Brown's, CanoeHouse, and Roys for

some fine dining. What do you think of those?

Manhattan Beach, CA
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sheraton Keauhou update

Tracym,

Of your four suggestions, I have only been to Roy's and Canoe House. Roy's is now a national upscale chain, and I have had mixed experiences with the restaurants. Roy Yamaguchi is a tremendously talented chef, but it is harder to run a tight ship when you have so many locations. You will probably have to get a consensus of opinions on Roy's, because the time I went to his Waikaloa restaurant I was disappointed (fish slightly overcooked, service a bit rushed, etc.)

Canoe House at Mauna Lani is another story. Along with Pahui'a at the Four Seasons and Ke'ei Cafe in Captain Cook south of Kona Canoe House is one of the best meals on the Island. The seafood there is among the best you will ever have, and the service is first rate. Just be prepared to treat yourself, as entrees are in the $30-$40 range. With drinks, appetizer and dessert, dinner could easily get to $80-$100 per person if you are not careful. I do not mind spending that for a special occasion, for I think it is a memorable experience, but it is not something I will do every night.

I have heard good things about Merrimans, but have not been.

New York City
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sheraton Keauhou update

Thankyou to all who responded about the distance. I am staying at the Orchid in a few weeks but needed a place for one "extra" night and didn't want to fly back to honolulu (where my flight back east leaves from). your information helped me figure out what to do . thanks again!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
968 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sheraton Keauhou update

Thanks for the help Igustafson.