We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting from east coast in March

new jersey
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting from east coast in March

My husband and I are planning to make a 4-5 day trip from the east coast to Big Island in the first -second week of March.

I read somewhere that rains are frequent from November to March and wanted to make sure

we are choosing the right time to visit since

we are coming from so far.We don't have much flexibility with dates since we are doing this in our spring break.

Could anyone advise if March is a good time to visit?

Thanks!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting from east coast in March

Expect moderate to heavy rain daily..... this area gets 140 to 250 inches a year.

It rains every day every month on the east....

midwest
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting from east coast in March

Aloha Visitor

Anytime is a good time to visit!

If you stay on the west side of the BI you likely will not experience any rain at all, especially along the coast.

carmel
Level Contributor
609 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting from east coast in March

Aloha, March is a good time to visit the BI. and it's true anytime is fun.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,181 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting from east coast in March

We were there for 5 days in May, and didn't get rained on one time! Besides, it's the rains that make the place so lush and beautiful!

Plymouth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
538 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting from east coast in March

I believe that HD was thinking that you are coming to the east coast of the BI. I assume that you meant that you are coming from the east coast of the contiguous 48 (NY, NJ, etc). Where do you want to stay?

new jersey
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting from east coast in March

Thank you all for your responses. Yes we are visiting from the east coast on a 7-8 day trip in the second week of March.

Since almost 2 days would go in travelling, I wanted to make sure we are coming at the right time to the right place!

We were thinking of staying around the Kona-Kohala Coast and exploring the beaches etc there for a few days. Then I was thinking we could make 2 separate day trips to the Volcanoes national park and to Hilo and drive down.

We would like to spend time on the beach, see the volcanoes national park, do some hiking and and see as much of local culture as we can.

Given our preferences and the timing of the trip, any recommendations on whether March is suitable or not? Is Big Island the island to visit given our interests?

Here is my last question- is a whale watching cruise a must see if one hasnt seen it before?

Thanks a lot, looking forward to some expert advice!

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,181 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting from east coast in March

You have picked the right island for beaches/volcano activity. I would suggest staying 2 nights in the Hilo/Volcano area, instead of making 2 day trips. That is alot of driving!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting from east coast in March

Ah yes.....in Kona area expect maybe a little rain at night.....with daytime temps of 85 and a low of 74.

whales will almost be gone... but some are around till April.

I agree spend a night in volcano rather than drive 2 day trips.

Must do's:

visit volcano,

Air Tour..only way to really see the park and Lava....and the Kohala mt falls

Snorkel ttip to Capt Cook.... whales and dolphinz in addition

Place Of refuge

Visit the Hilton.. will take you 3 hours to wander this stunning palce....all free.

Mauna kea summit tour

Drive the East coast to Hilo

Drive to Hawi over hiway 250 and visti the N coast.

in ny opinion these are the best

Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting from east coast in March

We agree with HawaiiDan--stay on the east side overnight (or two nights) rather than driving back and forth. The Big Island is big, and you can spend more time in the car, driving back and forth, than you'd want to...We recommend the Volcano TeaPot Cottage near Volcano Village---it is wonderful, private, the only house on the property, and a great base to have for visiting the volcano, waterfalls, southern beaches, the Botanical Gardens--the east side is fabulous and very different from the west--it's worth spending a day or two over there!