We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mauna Kea trip with a child

Coldwater, MI
Level Contributor
137 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mauna Kea trip with a child

We are going to the Big Island in June with our 9 year old. I have read that 9 year olds are not allowed past the visitor center at Mauna Kea. If my husband and his friend would continue up, would it be a long time for my daughter and I to wait at the visitors center?

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mauna Kea trip with a child

Persons under 16 are not alllowed above 9000, the visitor center, you are correct and wise to heed it.

If your husband is going on the Keck tours, Sat and sunday, it will be about 3 to 4 hours till they return from the summiit. The tour is 1-5.

if ,however, they drive their 4x4, ( harper) to the summit it will be about 1.5 hours as the speed limit is 15 on the road. both for the road and for your health.

Coldwater, MI
Level Contributor
137 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mauna Kea trip with a child

Would it be better for them to rent a 4x4 and go themselves or go with the tour? I think my daughter and I are going to stay at the hotel!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mauna Kea trip with a child

well, the sat and sunday tours are excellenet and go into the keck viewing room and another scope. You can also contact the Subaru telescope as they have special tours too. All of these are free.

Thats what I would do.....Harper is the only 4x4 which youu can legaly drive to the summit/

Tucson
Level Contributor
2 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mauna Kea trip with a child

I'm reading this with great interest. I was hoping to take my 9 year old to the summit. If they're worried about altitude sickness then it's me and the other old farts over 50 who shouldn't go. As a former flight surgeon and active pilot who flies with a pulse oxcimeter, kids maintain a much higher pO2 than the adults. Is there another reason why the age cut off is 16? Maybe they meant 61! Is it just the tours? Can you go on your own?

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
839 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mauna Kea trip with a child

I went through this debate myself. If I were you, I would let my husband take the tour and enjoy some pool time with my daughter. Taking that long SUV or van ride would be torture for most nine year olds - unless she might enjoy the star gazing at the center after your husband returns. Our daughter will just be thirteen so she's going up with us. (Mauna Kea Summit Adventures allows 13 year olds.) I know she's going to hate that long ride though!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mauna Kea trip with a child

Tucson tim......taxi to position and hold sir.

The road to the summit is a private road...owned by the Keck and others who buillt it. They make the rules. If they say no 3 toe frogs in your pocket... thats their privilidge.

You know , like above FL120 o2 PIC ;

You need to stop at the visitor center and get permission..the road is patroled by their security. If you can convince the authorities then cool ....... But taking a person thatage above 10 will trigger AMS in 75to 80% and at 13 that rises more... I know from experience in the Sierras.

summit workers now use O2 canisters so they dont get sick and make mistakes.....