We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cage diving and whales

United States
Level Contributor
783 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Cage diving and whales

I've seen tours for cage dives to see sharks in Oahu.

Is that offered on the Big Island as well? What's the likelihood of seeing a shark?

Are land based whale sightings better on Oahu or the Big Island? Are whale sighting boat tours better on Oahu or the Big Island?

thanks.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14,660 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cage diving and whales

Thankfully (in my opinion) this is not offered on the Big Island.

When snorkeling you may get lucky and see a shark, but I have seen them more often on Maui down by La Perouse. If you are very lucky the shark will be smaller than you.

Land based whale sightings are good in Kohala on the Big Island; we saw one really close last year down at Place of Refuge on the tax trail there.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,585 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cage diving and whales

While we've seen more whales from shore on Maui, we have never had a better whale-watch tour than Capt. Dan's...AMAZING trip. http://www.ilovewhales.com/4reasons.html

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cage diving and whales

I don't think it's offered on Oahu either now (thankfully IMHO) since their boat burned down.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,920 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cage diving and whales

It's illegal to feed sharks within the state of Hawai'i. The Oahu tours go north outside of State waters. Perhaps it is not feasible down here to leave the jurisdiction, but we are glad notmto have them. Oahu North Shore residents have been protesting the tours -- very controversial.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,822 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cage diving and whales

Aloha,

Only one boat burned.........and I think there are still 2 different companies too so there are still tours being done (and I'm with you TT).

United States
Level Contributor
783 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cage diving and whales

Great thanks! I'm going to tell my relatives to save the whale watching till they get to the Big Island with us. I was always planning to go on McSweeney's tour but some of my relatives may only watch from shore.

7. Re: Cage diving and whales

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:43 am, July 09, 2011