We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting a 4x4, where should we go?

Level Contributor
687 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Getting a 4x4, where should we go?

I know that there are some places that are not accessible unless you have a 4x4. We will be renting one for 24 hours only.

What areas, roads, or places should we visit?

(I'm already aware of Saddle Road, and Green Sand Beach, anything else?)

Muana Kea is not an option.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting a 4x4, where should we go?

saddle road take u to mauna kea. i inquired for nov trip and apparantly there's only one car rental company tht rents 4x4 for these roads...and it was pretty expensive too...so, we decided to take one of the tours for mauna kea

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting a 4x4, where should we go?

folks thnk I must work for Harper.....but I dont. They are the only real 4x4 rental firm.... 100 a day.... a tour to mauna kea costs 165 a person...... if you have 2 or more it is cost effective to do it for the one day you go.....not a week.....do a day rental n

Level Contributor
687 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting a 4x4, where should we go?

I've already booked a 4x4 through Harper. Here at home, I have a jeep, my hubby has a 4x4 truck. We like to go off roading. (I'm not as experienced as he is, but that doesn't matter because he will be the only driver for that day.)

We will not be going to Mauna Kea because the minimum age is 16 for the free tour. We may just mosey up Saddle Road just to star gaze though.

My question is: What other off roading or trails would be worth visiting with the 24 hours that we have that vehicle for? I am aware that Green Sand Beach is an option, but where else is there? Should we just go exploring and wing it? (of course we wouldn't go anywhere we're not supposed to go!)

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting a 4x4, where should we go?

nothing I would suggest for a rental, without a 4 to 6 inch lift, lockers, and a winch. Many of the roads between the airport and Waikoloa are stair-step lava, sharp steep tire eaters...... And I have a custom rig set up for the likes of Maob.... AND IT GETS HAIRY... You should have another rig for safety there are some BAD PLACE.

Level Contributor
687 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting a 4x4, where should we go?

Sounds like fun! (not really) sharp lava doesn't sound fun.

I think we'll just stick to Saddle Road then.......

Oooo! One more thing.....What about Waipo? Is there a road there that only 4x4's are allowed? Is that an option?

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting a 4x4, where should we go?

even Harper prohibits that drive... i have done it several times.....the valley has deep river fords...that can go over 6 ft deep if you get off track even a hair.......it is a thick jungle....

Then there are the "locals" which are very interesting.... a police officer here advised me to pack-heat if I go again.....

Take a tour..... with a group for enjoyment and safety.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
93 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting a 4x4, where should we go?

I didn't think the laws in Hawaii let one "pack heat"???

I would like to bring my heat with me to HI, but it doesn't appear to be a good idea.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting a 4x4, where should we go?

the laws dont let you......in Hawaii... but when an officer suggests you should.. he is making a statement rather well.......

Do you get the big picture...

North Carolina
Level Contributor
93 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting a 4x4, where should we go?

Got it!

Hereford, Arizona
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting a 4x4, where should we go?

Hmmmmm...Green Sand is one way in and one way out now.......i've driven in there MANY times over the years, when you could make a loop and not have to back track out....if you are thinking of Saddle Road for stargazing.....take it up to Mauna Kea State park and well, PARK!.....i suggest you start your drive while you have plenty of light left.....also I've never feared for anything in Waipio valley...interesting observation