We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mauna Kea Beach Resort Questions

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
308 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mauna Kea Beach Resort Questions

Aside from the gorgeous beach, whih is our biggest draw to the big island and this resort, what activities would be located nearby to this area and resort?

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,465 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mauna Kea Beach Resort Questions

the Mauna Kea was the first truly luux hotel to be built here and they had the whole island to choose from at that time.

It is mature staid seclusion with an aire of perfection. the beach is the best on the island...wind sheltered. unlike Hapuna which can sand blast the unwary.

Its grounds are mature and like a botanic garden. The security gate a mile from the hotel proper gives furthur ambiance.

You will be 6 miles north of Waikoloa beach resort and all the resort action and 30 miles north of Kona.

This a place to come to savor the atmosphere not boogie till dawn.

It offers some of the best food and is close to the grand eateries of Waimea like Merrimans....

This hotel is more of an experience than a hotel......a honeymoon paradise of long ago.

Mentioned in this post
Mauna Kea
Mauna Kea
252 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hapuna Beach State Recreation Area
Hapuna Beach State...
2,077 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Waikoloa Beach Resort
Waikoloa Beach Resort
289 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Waimea
Waimea
Island of Hawaii, HI
Merriman's
Merriman's
1,692 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
308 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Mauna Kea Beach Resort Questions

Thank you so much for your response. It sounds like perfection. You mentioned that the beach was the best on the island. How are the waves? we are hoping for minimal waves and a calm beach.

As for sightseeing, are there many natural attractions near the resort? volcanoes, waterfalls, hiking, etc.???

SoCAL
Level Contributor
415 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mauna Kea Beach Resort Questions

I can't comment on the resort, since we stayed near Kona at the Keauhou and had a nice time there. BUT, I have to step in and add that this beach is one of my favorite beaches in all of Hawaii!!! You can't go wrong. Beautiful sand, gorgeous clear water, and a nice reef along the edges with good snorkeling! The waves were nil the time I went there and it has the easiest entry (all sandy bottom) of any beach I think I've been to in Hawaii...ahhhh, I sometimes dream of this place...now I'm jealous.

If you choose not to stay here, you can still use the beach. The resort is required to allow public access (which is how we got in). At the gate they will provide passes for about 20 (?) public parking spaces down at the beach. If you get there early, you can get a pass and use the beach. When we went we had to wait about 15 minutes for someone to leave and bring up the pass to let us go down. The wait was worth it! In the middle of the day I snorkeled above a huge manta ray, it was incredible!

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Keauhou
Keauhou
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Little Rock...
Level Contributor
841 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mauna Kea Beach Resort Questions

We are staying at neighboring Hapuna Beach Prince Resort. Some activities we have planned include: Driving to Polulu Valley with stops in Hawi and the northern Kohala coast heiaus. Tour with Mauna Kea Summit Adventures for the sunset and stargazing on Mauna Kea. We'll also visit Waipio Valley (horseback riding with Na'alapa) on the way to the eastern side of the island where we'll also be staying for a couple of days. You might consider dividing your stay between both sides of the island as well for maximal touring with least amount of driving. I would not miss Volcano National Park or the Place of Refuge.

Mentioned in this post
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
3,785 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hawi
Hawi
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kohala Coast
Kohala Coast
Island of Hawaii, HI
Mauna Kea Summit
Mauna Kea Summit
3,907 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Mauna Kea
Mauna Kea
252 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Waipi'o Valley
Waipi'o Valley
843 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,465 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mauna Kea Beach Resort Questions

mauna kea beach is the nicest and very flat water beach here. hapuna while many love it can ger vERY windy and nasty..... The Mauna Kea is the heart of perfection.....

Mentioned in this post
Mauna Kea
Mauna Kea
252 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI