We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hapuna or Orchid?

Ohio
Level Contributor
231 posts
Save Topic
Hapuna or Orchid?

I see where the Fairmont Orchid offers queen size beds to_ my husband is tall, so these size outside of kings work the best, but we'll have our two teen boys with us. What is your opinion on the Hapuna compared to the Orchid? Grounds, service, rooms, activities, beach, etc?..

Thanks.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hapuna or Orchid?

for teens I would suggest neither...the beach, the watersports and the pools at ano of the Waikoloa beach resort hotels or condos will be much better.

true, Hapuna has great grounds and access to a great beach... but it is more isolated and secluded. You will not have many choices.

and it can get very windy and rough at the beach.

Fairmont is a very lux exclusive feel place with a tiny man made beach... it too s both isolated and very expensive. better as a honeymoon than a family place

Again not much for young adults to do compared to the Waikoloa resorts diversions..... which are not secluded and offer dozens of dining, watersport, recreation options all within walking distance for much less $$$

Hilton is Huge.......with more pools and fun than any place on the island

Ohio
Level Contributor
231 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hapuna or Orchid?

Hilton sounds like a Disney/Hawaii- up and down reviews too...We've been to Disney-just got back from the Grand Floridian at the World- very nice...looking for a more cultural, natural experience in Hawaii- the boys can "adjust" if needed. We adults deserve a vacation too:) Besides, we're taking this trip in honor of our wedding anniversary. I know..friends are saying and you're probably thinking-don't take the kids- but hey, they grow fast and we still want to spend time with them while they still want to spend time with us. Hubby and I will be by ourselves in a few years...Still want all of us to enjoy the activities, beach, and scenery.

Having whales outside our balcony would be great. Any resorts with that kind of view?!

Thanks.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
773 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hapuna or Orchid?

Hi! We will be staying at the Hapuna in June. I found a partial ocean view room, mid-sized car, and breakfast for $307/night on their "special deals" portion of their site. At that price, you could get the boys a terrace view room, all for under what you would pay for room alone at the Orchid!!!

The only upside to the Orchid I can think of is that the pool is open 24/hours, great for teens.

Menifee, California
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hapuna or Orchid?

Aloha!

OHIO...FYI...Orchid sometimes has a "family" deal on 2 rooms that connect...might be worth a look...you could have a KING in 1 room and 2 doubles in the next for the boys! Plus, you would have some privacy!!!

Bryan Brown

BBrown9825@aol.com

Ohio
Level Contributor
231 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hapuna or Orchid?

Thanks for the support- I like this forum of info!! What's the beach like by the Hapuna and Orchid? Is one better than the other?

Trust me anything blue and clear will be pleasureful for us-we live by Lake Erie which is so polluted and Yucky...

Still think it would be neat to look out and see whales!!

Illinois
Level Contributor
952 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hapuna or Orchid?

We stayed at the Orchid in 2003, and the beach is really small (like HD said). There is a good size pool though.

carmel
Level Contributor
609 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hapuna or Orchid?

aloha ohio, the Hilton is as you say a Disneyland Hotel. If you have a car you can drive to a good beach the Orchid is nice and true the 24 hr, pool is a great idea. My kids really like the Marriott and they have a nice beach.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
841 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hapuna or Orchid?

I don't have that much luck driving to a beach. Some of my favorite times to sit on the beach - or snorkel - are in the early morning while my family is still sleeping. I love to wake up and go to sleep with the ocean. The rest of the day I'm out running around!

I vote Hapuna.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hapuna or Orchid?

Ah, you said some important words..... culture and beach.... no disney...

The best is clear the Kona Village north of the Four Seasons. they have rooms on the beach and family rooms..... all inclusive meals and many activites . Families all rave about this place it is half way between the Waikoloa resorts and Kona you will pay about the same as cheaper places when you factor in the meals... figure for 4 persons about 1000 a Day, all meals and activities. on a beach, secluded and very lux and class...and the best atmosphere on the island...

look it up......it is the #2 hotel on the big island.... you might love it

carmel
Level Contributor
609 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hapuna or Orchid?

Aloha Ohio, the Kona Village has a nice web site that quotes room rates. Depending on the rm. you choose a standard you could get the full American plan for under $800 a day.