We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant with a beatiful view

Kentucky
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Restaurant with a beatiful view

Hi I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good restaurant with a beautiful view of the ocean . My parents will be there on there anniversary and want a special place to go to just the two of them. Thanks so much.

Selane

Ontario
Level Contributor
462 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant with a beatiful view

Aloha! We went to the Kona Inn, which is in Kailua-Kona. It is lovely and we enjoyed our meal there. It is on the water and the sunset is really pretty.

However, if you do a search for restaurants on here, you will find quite a few other suggestions. This question often comes up.

I am sure your parents will enjoy their stay on our favorite island.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant with a beatiful view

We just went there because it was at our hotel, but Brown's Beach House at the Fairmont Orchid had atmosphere to spare. It's right near the water, the outdoor area is very open with palm trees right overhead, and they had a guitar duo and hula dancer to boot.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant with a beatiful view

alll the large hotels have ocean dining and the price and view can vary.

Browns is nice, so it Canoe house at Mauna lani, Hilton has Kamualea provision co,

The Mauna Kea has a variety of venues, and on on the best beach in the state... it is the original luxury hotel built here and a class act despite its age figure about $45 to 60 per person for dinner and a drink

The Four Seasons has a very pricy place expect to pay $100+ per person at the Four Seasons. You are paying for the name here as much as the food.....and there are far better places for far less.

None, however ,beats Huggos or Jamesons in Kona they are on the water and noted for sunsets/

They are not part of the resorts and both are old and original Kona eateries, Kona Inn is too but I dont feel is as good, Expect to pay about $40 to $50 per person at these places.

Lots of choices........

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,075 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant with a beatiful view

I have to give a supporting comment for the Four Seasons restaurant, Pahui'a. It has the best food that I have had on the BI. We have tried many of the other resort restaurants, along with some of the oceanfront places in Kona, and have been generally disappointed in our meals. Yes, it can be pricey, but the portions are quite large for a gourmet restaurant, so my wife and I always split and appetizer, each have an main course, and split one of their outstanding dessert souffles. Without wine that is less than $150 for two. So if that fits in your budget it will be the best dinner you will eat on the island. Oh, and the view is outstanding. The patio tables are about 20 feet from the beach, and the surf in that area is wonderful to listen to throughout your dinner (and after dark they shine a spotlight on the ocean so you can still see the waves).

A cheaper alternative at the same FS resort is to have drinks and/or apppetizers at the Lava Lounge. This is above the Pahui'a restaurant so the view is even better.

And one last option at the FS is the Beach Tree restaurant. More casual, and it has 4 tables on the beach itself, but they don't take reservations so it is first come, first serve.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant with a beatiful view

While many appreciate the ambiance and decor of the lux Four Seasons... you cant get away from the reality that all the guides and critics place the food level in an avarage to par position ( Zagat and Frommers and Fodors)... just slightly behind Big Island Grill. Roys gets higher marks that Four Seasons.....so money aint the key to a gereat meal.

The leaders as of today are Imari, at the Hilton, Merrimans in Waimea, Bamboo in Hawi,

Kilauea Lodge in Volcano and Kenichi in Keauhou........all of which will serve you better food for 1/2 to 1/3 theFour seasons price... and offer darn fine atmosphere. Merrimans in Waimea is one of the 3 top restraunts in the state........ figure $60 per person.

This is very subjective and I invite the reader to explore the various food and restauraunt reviews by national critics... the Four Seasons ain't on their radar... at all...... there is a lot of hype on this placce for no reasonexcept that it is the most pricy meal on the Island....so it must be the best????? right???

carmel
Level Contributor
609 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant with a beatiful view

Aloha vain, yes the four season's is worth every cent if that's your wish. But I must agree with Melinda the Kona Inn is lovely with a great view and the food is very nice. Roys is good too. Having one special food item such as the volcano cake from Roys makes your vacation memorable.

Huahine, French...
Level Contributor
755 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant with a beatiful view

For a special place that has a beautiful view of the ocean, then Pahui'a should be their choice...worth every penny spent.

fourseasons.com/hualalai/…dining_38.html

The open-air, ocean-front restaurant serves gourmet fare; that's why it's expensive...not necessarily the Four $easons name. On top of that, the service is impeccable...not overbearing yet fully attentive. The place exhudes understated elegance...an ideal place for an anniversary dinner.

The weekly three-course prix fixe menu is often wonderful and prices are reasonable ($60 back in May 2005) if you compare it to gourment restaurants in large cities like NY and LA. You may end up spending $200 or more for 2 at Pahui'a, but the experience will be memorable. A special anniversary on the Big Island deserves a special place.

Roy's...good Hawaiian-fusion fare but it's nothing special. There's 20 locations on the mainland on top of the 6 on the islands. There's only 1 Pahui'a. IMO, Alan Wong's serves up better Hawaiian-fusion cuisine. Most importantly, Roy's Big Island offers NO ocean views...it's at the corner of a shopping complex (King's Shops). Not very romantic either...the place is often crowded and loud.

The only Big Island gourmet restaurants that rival Pahui'a are Merriman's and Daniel Thiebault, but they're all the way up in Waimea far from the ocean.

Other special restaurants that offer beautiful ocean views are the Canoe House at the Mauna Lani and Brown's Beach House (haven't dined there yet).

http://www.maunalani.com/d_ch_overview.htm

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,004 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant with a beatiful view

I agree with MerryTravels and HawaiiDan about Brown's Beach House at the Fairmont Orchid. It is among my top dining experiences of all time and probably ranked either 1 or 2 for all that adds up to make an experience special...atmosphere, service, food quality, and entertainment. It is simply fabulous!! Be sure to reserve a table 30 minutes before sunset so you can get settled in, order your first round of cocktails or wine and appetizers, and get ready for a wonderful experience.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,004 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant with a beatiful view

I forgot to add, go to www.brownsbeachhouse.com for hours of operation, phone number, and a sample of their menu, etc.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,075 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant with a beatiful view

I still have to stick up for Pahui'a at the Four Seasons, despite hawaiidan's comments(I agree with most everything else he says). And I'm glad others have agreed with me. I checked some of the rating guides for restaurants on the BI, and from gayot.com (reliable and subjective), three places get a tie for top billing on the island (rating 15 out of 20): Browns Beach House and The Grill (both at the Fairmount Orchid) and Pahui'a. I have not tried either place at the Fairmount, but they sound worth it for my next stay. Roys and Merrimans both get a 13 rating by the way.

Zagats only does Honolulu restaurants for the last few years, so unfortunately no info from that excellent source. And I have never been impressed with Frommers/Fodors as a reliable guide for restaurant suggestions.

So put all the info you got from the multiple sources together, and I'm sure your parents will have a wonderful time!