We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
102 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to stay?

Hello everyone!

I'm hoping I can get some input from everyone here. DH and I are heading to the Big Island at the very end of October. Since I've never been there before, I don't know where to start in this planning! I've read a lot of the posts here, and it seems that there are a few areas that people stick to when selecting a hotel.

So I figured I'd ask those of you who have been there...what area do you prefer to stay in, and why?

Thanks for any opinions you're willing to share! I'm hoping it'll help DH and me decide on an area so we can start looking at hotels...

Canada
Level Contributor
9,521 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay?

Perhaps, you can share a few more details about your trip.

How long are you planning to stay? Nightly budget? Condo or Hotel? Interests on the island?

Have you been elsewhere in Hawaii...if so what type of accomodation ..and do you want something similar?

Why did you select the Big Island?

Paradise, California
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay?

Are you looking for a destination or a base of operations? If you're looking for a destination, take a look at www.davidskvr.net but if you're looking for a base for island sightseeing, there is a universe of options and we need more information.

David

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
102 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay?

To answer some of your questions...

Our budget is flexible at this point. I don't want to limit my options by setting a tight budget. I'm more interested in narrowing down what area we want to stay in, and from there I'll start looking for an actual hotel. I want to stay in an area that is nice and has plenty to do, but also one that would be a good "base," because we'll want to explore more than just one part of the island.

I have been to Maui and Oahu before. On Maui we stayed in Ka'anapali at the Sheraton resort and loved it. We spent most of our time on Maui exploring...hiking, snorkeling, etc. We really, really enjoyed our time there. On Oahu I did the typical touristy things - Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, Polynesian Cultural Center, etc. But on another trip I stayed with a friend who lives there and I really enjoyed the more relaxing, laidback style of that trip. I spent most of my time laying on the beach in Kailua. So, as you can see, I am happy doing anything - whether it be relaxing or adventurous :) I chose Hawaii (and Kauai) because I have not yet been to either of those islands and am anxious to experience both of them.

I hope that helps???

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay?

I love Mauna Lani hotel. Laid-back, not glitzy. Elegant and classic, some do not like the austere decor. Great grounds, snorkeling. Read the reviews.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,521 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay?

The Big Island of Hawaii is a wonderful spot to visit. I remember our first visit and being faced with the dilemma of selecting a location. We chose the South Kohala region specifically the Waikoloa Beach resort for the sunny blue skies, warm dry climate and proximity to some of the Island's best beaches. Less voggy skies as a rule compared to parts South near Keauhou. We were very happy to realize once on Island that we had made the right decision for us. We have returned to the area many times for extended visits.

There are many condo offerings in the area and really run a wide range of price points.

The Mauna Lani Resort area is just another 2 miles further North from WBR and has some lovely offerings as well in either the condo or hotel category.

Most of the condo offerings are relatively new.< 5yrs old...

Not sure if you have selected your accomodation on Kauai as yet..but if A/C is on the list ...it can be difficult to find there in a condo. Not impossible ..just very few units...except the very new.We have journeyed there a dozen plus times there in the last so many years. Fabulous Island

South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,695 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stay?

I just returned from six nights at the Hilton Waikaloa Village and would second Wanderlust's recommendation of the area. The only downside was the restaurant/bar choices were mostly limited to the resort and a few other choices. I was able to visit VNP and most other points on the island as day trips (but I don't mind logging 200+ miles driving in a day - especially if the scenery is nice).

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to stay?

The Big Island (like Maui) has a number of destination resorts such as Kona Village, the Four Seasons, Mauna Lani. In a lesser sense, even the Hilton Waikoloa. They are more than a place to sleep, but the place you spend the majority of your time. (In the case of KVR and the Four Seasons, many people don't even leave, because so much is right there: fine dining, wonderful pools and beaches, and ocean activities.) Those places come at a price. You may prefer that atmosphere, or may prefer a cheaper hotel or a condo if you are out and about all the time.

As for touring the island, you probably want to break your trip into a west-side/east-side and stay at two different places. A drive around the entire island will take about 7 hours without stops, so that doesn't leave a lot of time for exploring/sightseeing on the other side. If you are thinking of spending a week, you might consider spending 5 on the west side where there are better beaches, weather (usually), and activities, then 2 on the east side to see waterfalls, scenery, and the volcano.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,983 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to stay?

If you are looking for quality beach time then pick a resort in the Waikoloa area just minutes to many nice beaches. Kona is great for shopping and dining and easy access to snorkeling and good jumping off point to head to Volcano, In Volcano Village the Kilauea Lodge is the best. 10 days will allow you to loop the whole island in a liesurely manner w/ left over days to lie on the beach.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
102 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to stay?

Thanks, all, for the suggestions! Does the fact that I don't have a full week on the Big Island change anyone's opinion about doing some time on the East and some time on the West side of the island? I don't know for sure yet how many days I will have, but I am splitting 10 days between Hawaii & Kauai. We haven't booked our flight from Hawaii to Kauai yet, so the timing is still up in the air.

If, due to my shorter itinerary, I should stick to one side of the island, which would you recommend? If it is still recommended that we split our time between the east and west sides of the island, which direction would you recommend we drive (follow the north coast? South coast? Any other road?) to get the most scenic views? I ask because I know we won't have the time to make the full loop around the island. So, if anything, we will have to make a half circle around it.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,521 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to stay?

Wow, OK...10 days for both islands... Hope you are going to allot at least 5 nights on each(It is a total of 10 nights?)

Your time on the Big island will be a whirlwind if you intend to include the east Coast. The North Hwy is the route to take for a number of reasons...scenery being one of them.

The Big Island is Huge...You could easily spend all 10 nights there.You will just scratch the surface for your trip, but if an active schedule is what you desire on this trip.....your wish will be fulfilled.Lots of time in the car.There is lots to see and do.

Sadly you will likely pay the same as a one week car rental for each vehicle (5 day rentals) .

Good Luck with your plans.