We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we HAVE to have a rental car?

Level Contributor
687 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Do we HAVE to have a rental car?

Staying in Waikoloa for 6 nights, and then over to Hilo for 3 nights. Is there enough groceries, activities,within walking distance in Waikoloa for 3 of those nights so I wouldn't have to rent a car? We are 5 people, and quite possibley 2 more,(my parents) so it would have to be a mini van. I looked up Hertz and it is almost 1000.00 for 10 days. UG!

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Oh, I forgot how much is a taxi from the Kona airport to Waikola Shores?

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,559 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Do we HAVE to have a rental car?

They don't call it the Big Island for nothing...

While a beautiful community, Waikoloa is relatively isolated, one of a string of expansive resorts on a 15 mile stretch of shoreline. Shopping is limited to a single moderate-size resort-oriented center and the in-hotel shops. The only "grocery" store available is more of a mini-mart featuring junk food, drinks and souveniers.

While there are many things to do in the resort...golf, tennis, beach activities, walking paths, archeological sites, restaurants, and visit the massive Hilton Waikoloa Village hotel complex...I think the vast majority of visitors would be fairly bored and looking for expanded opportunities after just a couple of days, nonetheless six. Unless, of course, the goal of everyone is just to veg out.

So, you will need wheels...and really you should have some, as the BI is a fantastic place which begs to be explored; one of the most diverse land forms on the planet, with a rich history and spectacular things to see.

I would highly recommend getting two cars, which would provide enough room for all of you, and give members of your party the chance to go separate ways on occassions or run errands. And, even better, you can get each car for probably no more than about $25 US daily....or the two together at less than half the price of the van.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,066 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do we HAVE to have a rental car?

Amberloo gave you some really great advice. I might just add one thing. When you are checking car rental prices, check Thrifty, Budget, Dollar, and Alamo too. At Sam's Club and I'm sure other places you can get upgrade coupons to the next largest size vehicle. Also, do a search on this forum or ask Kaiwahine what the name of the REALLY budget car rental service. I checked it when we got back and could have saved even more.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
841 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do we HAVE to have a rental car?

Absolutely, unequivocably, YES. You'll need a car. Give Priceline a try. That's too much!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do we HAVE to have a rental car?

you will need a car and the car to have is not a van it is a 4x4 suburban which will give you access to rvren the top of mauna kea... ( and save the $800 tour cost of being driven there) and the 300 in taxi charges of being driven ( to and from the airport for 6 ( 50 for -2)

Go with Harper renta car here and yos they are at the airport in Hilo and Kona.... the have no restrictions on their stuff alll the others do,,,,,

forget what you save at a discounter as you will get a car with so many driving restrictions you will gasp......

carmel
Level Contributor
609 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Do we HAVE to have a rental car?

Aloha Santy, Unless you are with a tour group you will need to rent a car while visiting the BI. Budget and Alamo are very popular. Anywhere you drive as long as you are on paved roads you will be fine. A 4x4 is not necessary. The roads are good and you see many small rental cars and so do the thiefs you break into them. Be careful and take your valuables with you or lock them in the trunk.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,090 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do we HAVE to have a rental car?

Another idea: Check out discounthawaiicarrental.com. We have used them a few times without problems, and saved nearly 50% off what the rental companies charge directly. We just had a Jeep Grand Cherokee for 1 week for $ 291.00. This was a Thrifty Car Rental vehicle that the discount company arranges. I agree that you need a car on the island, unless you just plan to lounge all day at the resort (and there is nothing wrong with that). Enjoy!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do we HAVE to have a rental car?

A 4x4 here, unless you go to the top of Mauna Kea is not necessary and can be a waste of money.

Why, well you need to read the fine print on a contract that says you cant take your 4x4 off a paved road.... yes that what it says... you will only have a macho convertable...

It is the same with all other rental cars here. For the day or days you might want to venture on a nasty road, then and only then rent from a company that will let you drive it off a paved road. it os worthy to consider that only one such company will permit their 4x4 's off road..Harper... so discounts are rather meaningless if you think they are all the same.

ASK specific questions with the rental agency to avoid problems......it pays

carmel
Level Contributor
609 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Do we HAVE to have a rental car?

Aloha Santy, if you are a AAA membeer check car rentals with them. We like Budget.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,090 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do we HAVE to have a rental car?

I agree with Hawaiidan that you don't need a 4x4 for most driving on the BI, but you can get any kind of vehicle from discounthawaiicarrental.com. Check out the site for their prices.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do we HAVE to have a rental car?

90% of discount car rental in Kona hawaii goes to Alamo...... you can drive saddle road with their cars. not true with Avis, Hertz or Budget. They have the most restrictions except for enterprise.