We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! 3 nts on Big Island

Jackson, MS
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Help! 3 nts on Big Island

My family (6 adults) will be spending three nights on the Big Island and just can't figure out the best way to spend them or where. VNP is definitely a priority for us, as we will have already spent 5 nights on the beaches of Maui. We will be interested in seeing the waterfalls and doing some snorkeling. Most likely we will be flying out of Kona to get back the mainland. Any suggestions/help would be great!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,542 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! 3 nts on Big Island

Fly to Hilo. Spend 2 nights over there somewhere. You will have 1.5 days to see VNP and that area. Then the 3rd day, drive over to Kona side and spend one night there. You can see Place of Refuge, coffee country, etc. If you don't want a beach, ther e Sheraton is there. If you do want a beach, go up to the Marriott.

Then I guess you fly out of KOA the next day.

You COULD spend all 3 on the east side, but check the timing of your car return/checkin at KOA and the drive over there.

OOPS! Edited post!

I see you also want "snorkeling." So stay at Outrigger or Royal Kona that last nght, and snorkel at Kahaluu.

Edited: 3:57 pm, May 28, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,987 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! 3 nts on Big Island

At only 3 nights I would focus on just Volcano to Hilo. As far east as Black Sand Beach and as far north as Waipio Valley overlook. The Deck House at My Island is a good example of what you can get in Volcano for accomdations starting at $160 for two adults including continental breakfast and garden surroundings.

Probably one full day in Volcano National Park, one day do a scenic tour of lower Puna district maybe stopping at Kalapana lava viewing, and one day to do a water fall and garden tour of Hilo town and Botanic Gardens to the north.

A friend reports that Richardson Beach near Hilo is pretty good for snorkeling.

Edited: 4:00 pm, May 28, 2010
Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,883 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! 3 nts on Big Island

If you want to do a snorkel tour, plan one full day staying in Kailua-Kona.

Forget about Richardsons, it's where east siders snorkel who don't have a choice.

To be honest, the waterfalls aren't that interesting, unless it's been pouring rain. Are you taking the Hana Highway on Maui? There's your waterfall fix.

That said, the Hawai'i Tropical Botanical Gardens at Onomea are worth seeing if you want to see tropical lushness. Bring mozzie repellant though.

The VNP can be done as a day trip, but if you are set on trying to see an active flow then you should stay east for two nights.

What time of year are you coming?

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,239 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! 3 nts on Big Island

Yes you will be flying out of Kona to the mainland unless you go via Maui or Oahu to connect. That said your flight will either be around lunch time or late eventing so you would have time to drive from the east side to the west side to catch your flight. To do everything on your list I would do 1 night Kona side, either first or last night and 2 nights in Volcano Village, with a group of 6 I would rent a house in Volcano Village, most have a 2 night minimum. Do not even think about snorkeling Hilo side, not worth the loss of time.. I would take a snorkel cruise Kona side and make the most of your limited time on our island.

I agree with KK, skip the waterfalls and focus on VNP when on the east side.

5. Re: Help! 3 nts on Big Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 29, 2010