We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkeling

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
snorkeling

Can anyone give recommendations for either Dolphin discoveries or Sea quest snorkeling tours? Also, is there cheap accommodation that is safe for a single female in the captain cook area? Thanks

Polynesian Adventure Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Star Gaze Hawaii
Sightseeing Tours
Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,465 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkeling

if it is the ocean and dolphin experience you want then Dolphin hs the best boat and offers 2 guides not one.... and it has shade.

As far as captain cook.... I am a guy and feel un-easy at times in Capt. Cook..... stay furthur up the coast Keauhou would be best..... safe clean and lots of choices

Mentioned in this post
Keauhou
Keauhou
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kent, WA
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkeling

I love the Captain Cook area and have visited many times and am quite comfortable there, whether alone or with others. It is definately not the usual turist area. I have stayed at Camp Aloha and find it wonderful. It feels very isolated, which could intimidate some people not used to that "aloneness" feeling. I don't scare easily though and always take common sense precautions and keep a cel phone handy.

Mentioned in this post
Captain Cook
Captain Cook
Island of Hawaii, HI
Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkeling

Try the Cedar House B&B--in Captain Cook, very close to great snorkeling, and they have several rooms in the main house, along with a small cottage on the property--it is in a quiet residential neighborhood and we felt very safe and secure there. It is up the mountain side from the highway, cool at night, with beautiful views and great breakfasts--we will definitely stay there again. We also stayed at Camp Aloha, but didn't like it at all--had a real spooky feeling, wasn't clean or secure and the owner creeped me out. I wouldn't want to stay there as a single female--my husband didn't like it much either, and we were so glad to leave (we stayed in B&B's all over the Big Island, and Camp Aloha was the only bad experience we had).

Mentioned in this post
Captain Cook
Captain Cook
Island of Hawaii, HI
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkeling

I have stayed at Camp Aloha at least once every trip and find it comfortable and a pleasant low-key change from big mega-hotels. Located at about 700' it comfortable night-time tempatures and is close to kayaking,diving and snorkel beaches. If a person wanted safe, quiet,friendly and low cast place to stay this is it.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,111 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: snorkeling

We just did Dolphin Discovery earlier this month, and had a wonderful time. The 2 guides were very informative, we got to see the sea caves aong the coast, and our time at Captain Cook and Honaunau were great. Dolphin was supposed to be the first ones that arrive at Kealakakua Bay in the AM, but for some reason we were third that day. They seemed very environmently careful too. And although we did not see any dolphins that day, we ended up in the middle of a pod of pilot whales (about a dozen), and that was quite a treat to see. And Hawaiidan is right, Dolphin Discovey is the only ones with this type of boat that has shade on the boat.

I can highly recommend them.

Mentioned in this post
Captain Cook
Captain Cook
Island of Hawaii, HI
Honaunau
Honaunau
Island of Hawaii, HI
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: snorkeling

We were there first week of Dec. and had a trip with each of these companies.

We had booked Dolphin Discoveries on-line for a $10/pp web discount. Mention that when you pay.

Snorkeling at Capt Cook is awesome regardless of which company you choose.

DD trip in the morning took us also to another bay (forgot the name) where there were many sea turtles.

We enjoyed Capt Cook snorkeling so much we took an afternoon trip a couple days later with Sea Quest which did NOT go to the sea turtles area. (Had a coupon for $20/couple off.)

SeaQuest: correct - no shade on their boat, but nice guides and a very fun smaller boat so you got to zoom around the caves along the coast! You go fast so you don't really need shade! Also they rinsed you off with fresh water when you got back on-board.

Both had snacks (SQ had more variety) and drinks.

On both trips we looked for dolphins & whales but saw none. (Seemed like SeaQuest tried harder to find them).

Had friends (a whole family) stay at that Coffee House B&B in Captain Cook and they loved it. Said hosts were very nice but have no personal experience.

Mentioned in this post
Captain Cook
Captain Cook
Island of Hawaii, HI
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: snorkeling

My wife and I have stayed at Camp Aloha for a number of years and have enjoyed it every time. After a trip up a steep and tropical plant lined drive you enter a little gem of a Bed & Breakfast located over looking Kealakekua Bay (a Kayak trip we recommend) with access to some great snorkeling and diving. Camp Aloha is run by a couple of the nicest people who took care of our needs without be intrusive. Amenities included the usual plus a pool and Jacuzzi the sunsets came with no charge.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,465 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: snorkeling

My thoughts turn to the basic.......why in a space of 3 days have there been so many post on this place?

Fruther, why are they all coming in rapid form; why are they all from this island. ? Why are they so supportive. I am puzzled.

Why in all this time have we on this fourm not heard zip about this palace. wHy now?

If I did not know better I would suspect a cheap plug for friends.... But would someone do that????..................

7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: snorkeling

I would suspect the same thing about consistant and less than specific comments using the words such as "funky" and "alternative living" and further please feel free to contact me and my wife at any time our adress is kosh4@netscape.net. We wrote because we disliked the biased mean spirited comments we happended upon about a place we love. Please contact us at any time before questioning our posts.

7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: snorkeling

In addition to our last posting my wife and I are located in Seattle Washington and not in Hawaii.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington