We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Hapuna to Volcano

Austin, TX
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Day trip from Hapuna to Volcano

We're spending 4 nights on the Big Island the first week of April as part of our honeymoon and staying at Hapuna Prince. We want to spend one day at the Volcano, but fiance doesn't want to spend the night there. Has anyone done this trip in a day? Any itinerary advice, suggestions? We're a young, athletic couple and would like to hike out to the lava, if possible. We might be interested in some other short hikes as well. Thanks!

Bracebridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
706 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Hapuna to Volcano

If you have to do it in one day you can but timewise you should go the north route and skip all the interesting things in between........a B&B there would be really helpful but barring this go straight there!!!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
23,265 posts
5,360 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Hapuna to Volcano

We've done it as a day trip several times from either Hapuna Prince or Mauna Lani. Recommend an early start say 7 a.m. Hawaii time and be on the way. There are some really fun flower, macadamia shops on the road between Hana and Volcano National Park. Unless you are picnicking (Hapuna Prince will pack you a nice picnic lunch), then plan on eating at the Volcano House at the Park. We usually take note if any lava activity before we depart (and if so, make that the highlight of our trip.) We then take the circle drive and take short walks to various areas and always make sure we go through the lava tube area (do this before dark.) On the way back to Hapuna, stop at Parker's Ranch for dinner if you enjoy steak/chicken restaurants.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
968 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Hapuna to Volcano

We stayed at the Hapuna and did the VNP as a day trip. It is a lot of driving in one day. The north 19 route through Waimea onto Hilo then to VNP is a very pretty drive. We detoured off and went to the Waipio Overlook on the way also. It was worth the detour. Once at VNP, go to the visitors center and get a map. We only did the crater rim drive stops. With you wanting to do the lava hike I would definately try to talk your better half into spending the night there. The drive back is long

after a full adventurous day. If I had it to do over again,I would stay at least a night or 2 over on that side of the island. The Big Island is huge and we spent a lot of time driving which because quite tiresome.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,075 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Hapuna to Volcano

We also have done day trips from that area to the volcano. It really is a FULL day, but easily done. I recall about 12 hours from start to finish, with plenty of time to explore. It is about 3-4 hours from the hotel to Volcano National Park nonstop.

My understanding is that it is a several hour (one way) DIFFICULT hike to see the lava. I have not attempted it, but have enjoyed other great hikes in the park such as Kiluea Iki. From reading other posts I got the impression that the best way "to see the lava" is to do a helicopter trip over it. I recently read about the experienced hiker who got lost coming back from seeing the lava and was rescued after being spotted by a tourist in a helicopter.

Rockport...
Level Contributor
257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Hapuna to Volcano

We have done this twice as a day trip from Hapuna. It makes for a long day, but it's worth it. It's about 3 hours each way, but we have made stops along the way both times, so it's longer than that. The first year, we went through Kona, stopped at Place of Refuge and Punalu'u, a black sand beach. This past summer, we drove through Waimea and Hilo, stopping at the Waipaio Valley overlook and Akaka Falls. The Big Island is fabulous, enjoy!

Austin, TX
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from Hapuna to Volcano

Thanks everyone for the responses! I feel better knowing others have done it! And knowing the routes and times you guys left is very helpful, Thanks!