We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kealakekua Bay - Morning tour or afternoon tour

Emeryville, CA
Level Contributor
249 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Kealakekua Bay - Morning tour or afternoon tour

Hi, I've looked around at the different snorkeling companies, and the price difference between morning tour and afternoon tour is huge, around 50%!

I appreciate it if someone can share their experience of snorkeling at different time periods over the Kealakekua Bay.

Thank you very much.

Also, has anyone used Sea Quest? Kona Boys are kind of expensive...

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kealakekua Bay - Morning tour or afternoon tour

I checked on prices

the reason some charge more in the morning as they go to several snorkel sites.... for a 4 hour trip and the afternoon is only 3. All tours provide all gear, guides,snacks and other stuff.

These are Dolphin Discovery and SeaQuest

Forget capt Zodiac...... they have to travel 20 miles more so the trip is all about a long bouncy ride

Morning is always better water The order the boats get to the bay is coordinated by the local Natural resource folks so that the bay will get not too many folks at once

The order is Dolphin 1st, Zodiac 2nd, Seaquest 3rd, Fairwinds 4th.

Prices are about for mornings..... and afternoon

Fairwinds..... 125

Zoziac.......95.......95

Sea Quest 90......90

Dolphin Discovery. 72 ( on line rate am).....66 pm

Not sure on on Kona Boys tours.....

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
8 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kealakekua Bay - Morning tour or afternoon tour

Hi -- Just returned from BI this week and did Dolphin Discoveries morning tour. No only longer as HD points out but at least in August -- better chance of sun. Snorkeling is MUCH more enjoyable on a sunny day as it changes the quality of the colors you see under water. Almost every day we were in Kona it was sunny during the morning hours and began to get cloudy between 1 - 3 pm. I highly recommend the Dolphin Discoveries outfit. Small boat and enters K Bay well ahead of the bigger tour boats leaving you about an hour to explore without the literally hundreds of other tourists on those boats. We left when Fairwinds pulled into the bay and went to another location.