We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety at South Point and Punalu'u

Texas
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Topic
Safety at South Point and Punalu'u

Hello - we are going to the Big Island in October. We will be flying in to Kona and driving to Hilo. On the way, we wanted to stop at South Point and Punalu'u, however, we will have all of our luggage with us since we won't be checked into our hotel yet. Is it safe to park a car at these locations with belongings inside (ie: is it possible to keep an eye on the car, or do you have to leave it in a lot somewhere where it isn't visible)? Thanks!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety at South Point and Punalu'u

if it were me....I would not tempt fate in such remote places.. stay arond the car.

The south end of the island is no into personal property.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety at South Point and Punalu'u

Shoot, and we were hoping to stop at these places on our way from Hapuna to Volcano, also with our luggage. Sigh.

Portland, OR, USA
Level Contributor
421 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety at South Point and Punalu'u

Hello,

Punalu'u is pretty darn safe, I'd say, as places go. It's not a big beach. You can probably be on the beach and still see your car.

I would not worry about that much, just keep an eye on your car.

There are not a lot of "loiterers" there.

What do you plan to do at South Point? Unless you plan to hike to

the Green Sand beach, you will likely be in sight of your car the whole time, as well. There's not a lot to see or do down there, honestly. This view from Broken Road is pretty cool, but it's not likely you will be going far from your car.

I don't think you have much to worry about at either place, really, just based on the layout of the places you are talking about.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
224 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety at South Point and Punalu'u

As logophile stated - unless you plan to do the 2 mile hike over to the Green Sand Beach - the two areas you mention are not that bad.

Punalu'u Beach we stopped at - and the small beach area - is within view of the parking lot. I have only been to the Big Island once - but this beach seemed like a family beach - and I was not overly worried here (we only stopped for a 15 minute break though).

The drive down to South Point is quite remote (as hawaiidan noted). This drive is about 10 miles off the main highway - and the further we got down there, the more off-the-beaten-track you realize you are. We saw a few locals down there. Nothing too out of the ordinary (although after all of the horror stories I had read prior to going to Hawaii, we did not end up doing the 2 mile hike east to the Green Sand Beach). We drove to the end of the road - had some nice views along the southwest corner (at the end of South Point Road). I heard that the Green Sand Beach is amazing - although quite windy, and the sand blows at you the whole time.

If you do not hike at the end of South Point, but you just enjoy the views as we did (we were never more than 50 feet from our car), I am sure you will have no problems. If you leave your car alone for a few hours of hiking, I wouldn't be shocked if a little break-and-enter occurs. All I kept thinking is that it would be easy to break-in if someone wanted to (if a car was left unattended). The locals were just lounging by a make-shift tent while we drove by - they weren't overly welcoming - but whatever.

Texas
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety at South Point and Punalu'u

Thanks a lot for all of the feedback! We don't plan to do any hiking - just wanted to drive to South Point and take a look around and make a quick stop at Punalu'u, so it sounds like we will be able to stay near the car and should be okay. Thanks again!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety at South Point and Punalu'u

Yes thanks. We also were only going to stop at South Point to take a look although we were hoping to actually spend some time on the Punalu'u beach - sounds as though that would work too.