We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel time and places to stay

Dallas
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel time and places to stay

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how long it will take for my husband and I to drive from Kona Airport to Volcano? Is it faster to take the highway going north or south from Kona? I have heard that the mph is slower and there are a lot of blind curves on this drive . . . true? We aren't arriving in Kona until 3:30 pm, do you think we will be driving part of the way in the dark?

Also, does anyone have an opinion on Volcano House vs. Volcano Cedar Cottage B&B?

Also, is just one day enough time to see the park? We are going in a week and right now we plan to stay one night in Volcano and then spend the next day at the volcano park, then drive to kohala.

Thanks!

Dallas
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel time and places to stay

And one other question . . . I just checked the weather channel for Volcano and it says rain every day for the next 10 days. Is it always raining there or is this unusual? Thanks!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel time and places to stay

Hi

It will take you about 3 to 3 1/4 hours to drive via hiway 19 or 11 to volcano so just before dark late dusk

volcano is in a rain forest......and yes it does rain every day some.... over 200 inches a year so figure 1/2 inch a day....every day....it is why it is so green.

I like Kiluea Lodge...... I am not a big lover of B&Bs however.

If you are fine.....dozens there to choose...... I like hotel/lodges/ as they have food and service.

A day will be ok to skim the surface.....talk to a Ranger see all their programs they offer free.......

Hamakua
Level Contributor
393 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel time and places to stay

Aloha Paisleigh,

Hmm, if your plane gets in at 3:30, then by the time you get your rental car and head anywhere it will be 4:00. It is about a three hour drive to Volcano and it gets dark by 6:30 or 7:00 or so. Most likely you will be driving after dark since you will probably want to stop somewhere along the way for food or see some scenery.

From 3:30 at the Kona Airport, if you took the south route to Volcano you would probably end up in a lot of the after work traffic heading towards southpoint out of Kona. Also, by the time it got dark, you would be on winding unlit roads. Some of which have abrupt drops on either side with no guardrails. If you went through Waimea and along the Hamakua coast then through Hilo and up to Volcano, you will have wider straight roads for any after dark driving you would end up doing. Also that portion of the road doesn't have any deep drop offs along them. Then when you drive back to Kohala you can take the south road and continue your circle of the island so you will see all the scenery - hopefully in the daylight.

Taking the Waimea/Hamakua/Hilo route will also give you more places to stop for dinner along the way. Most of the eating places along that route would be in Waimea, Honokaa and Hilo. Gasoline is available in Waimea, Honokaa, Laupahoehoe and Hilo as well as two places between Hilo and Volcano and Volcano Village as well.

Seeing the park and then driving to Kohala in the same day will be a very long day and you would be driving in the dark and while tired again which isn't very safe and doesn't have good scenery. A second night in Volcano would let you see the scenery along the way to Kohala during the day instead of at night and you could schedule in some sight seeing along the way.

A hui hou,

Hotzcatz

Hamakua
Level Contributor
393 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel time and places to stay

Aloha Again Paisleigh,

I forgot about your rain question.

Let's see, the folks who keep track of this sort of thing have already averaged these sorts of things out. From 10/1/1949 to 3/31/2005 the average amount of precipitation in August in Volcanos National Park is 7" and 5.37" in September. Average maximum temperature is 71.5 Farenheit and minimum is 55.4 Farenheit. Annual precipitation at Volcanoes National Park is 108.97 inches. Hmm, these folks list Hilo's average annual precipitation as 128.24 yet I can distinctly remember it as being well over 200 inches several times in the past. Guess this is what the "averages" are all about. They list Kainaliu (near Kona) as only having 63 inches of precipitation.

You can check a variety of Hawaii climates at: http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/summary/climsmhi.html

This year has seemed a bit wetter than some years, but usually for a "rainy" day, that means it rains for a bit then clears off. If it is really pouring rain somewhere, wait about five minutes and it will usually slow down or stop. It is generally warm rain so folks don't get too concerned about it and the sun will usually come back out soon.

A hui hou,

Hotzcatz

Dallas
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel time and places to stay

Thanks HD and Hotzcatz!