We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

End of the World

Burton, Michigan
Level Contributor
86 posts
4 reviews
15 helpful votes
End of the World

My husband saw a program on the Travel channel that showed a clip about cliff jumping at this place, just south of Alii Drive. He wants to try this...not me...the jumping looked like fun but climbing back up the cliff face looked fairly difficult. He's definitely not a kid anymore but is in good physical shape and is a great swimmer. Does anyone have any information about this place and whether it's a worthwhile (and sane) thing to attempt?

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
797 posts
1 review
5 helpful votes
1. Re: End of the World

Not sure if it is the same place, but we stopped at a cliff jump on a kayak tour, and there were several people there that had hiked to it. There are two "platforms" to jump from, one at 25' and another at 30'. The water is about 25' deep. The climb back up the rocks is not hard, but it is a little slippery getting out of the water. I did the jump and it was not too bad.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
16,014 posts
310 reviews
835 helpful votes
2. Re: End of the World

I know where it is--it's by no means a sanctioned "jumping off" spot and yes it is dangerous. And actually it is near a place very rich and special in Hawaiian history so cliff jumping THERE would be a bit disrespectful, in my opinion, if you know that. And now you know :-)

If you don't hit the water right you will get hurt. If you get slammed onto the rocks as you start to climb you will get hurt. If you fall off climbing 20-30-40 feet up the cliff face you will get hurt. If you hit oa rock the wrong way on any of theses you will be dead or in intensive care, What a lousy way to ruin your vacation. Unless you are there with a TV crew and people who will pay your medical expenses, go find a boat trip with a water slide.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
23,919 posts
3. Re: End of the World

Do not allow your DH visit the museum in Kona Town. Do not listen to the docent describe how the ali'i would have their people lay straw mats down the side of the cliffs so they could "surf" downhill and into the ocean -- extra points for standing all the way down.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,239 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: End of the World

Aloha, I believe the area is the Burial Grounds of Lekeleke, please consider Honu_Ohana advice, if this is the same place it would be disrespectful.... Plenty other adventure to come by on the Big Island!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,574 posts
129 reviews
304 helpful votes
5. Re: End of the World

I agree with others who say this is extremely dangerous and also extremely disrespectful. to the history and culture in the area

Another point is it is on private land... the approach

If you want cliff jumping go to south point... 50 .... and you can drive to them.....

Burton, Michigan
Level Contributor
86 posts
4 reviews
15 helpful votes
6. Re: End of the World

Thanks everyone for your input. That's what I love about these forums...you learn about things you don't see on TV or read about in the guidebooks.

Cliff jumping is now out of the question for hubby...he's okay with that. He may be adventureous but he certainly doesn't want to do anything disrespectful or stupid. And the 50 ft cliffs mentioned at South Point sound waaaaay too high!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
16,014 posts
310 reviews
835 helpful votes
7. Re: End of the World

Thanks for your good spirit! Is there anything else we can help with? Nice seaside walks, places to snorkel from shore, or ...?

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,239 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
8. Re: End of the World

LLH444, you are the best!

9. Re: End of the World

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, September 10, 2009