We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fairmont Orchid Kohola (North) or Kona (South) Tower?

folsom
Level Contributor
140 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Fairmont Orchid Kohola (North) or Kona (South) Tower?

Does anyone know which building provides the best views at the Fairmont Orchid? The Kohola (North) or the Kona (South) are the two options.

Thanks,

kohala coast, hawaii
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fairmont Orchid Kohola (North) or Kona (South) Tower?

the south tower is directly over the swimming beach, so it could be slightly noisier and less private. the north tower has equally good views but looks over a lawn to the ocean and is quieter.

folsom
Level Contributor
140 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fairmont Orchid Kohola (North) or Kona (South) Tower?

Thank you Mauna Kea, I appeciate your feedback. I noticed in a photograph in travel book possible constuction to the south of the Kona Tower, is there constuction ongoing to the south that would be visible from the rooms facing South?

Thanks

kohala coast, hawaii
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fairmont Orchid Kohola (North) or Kona (South) Tower?

that's a possibility - although I'm not sure about whether you could see any construction from the south tower south facing rooms. you could call the fairmont and ask - they'll be straight with you. you may want to request the noth tower anyway.

san francisco
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fairmont Orchid Kohola (North) or Kona (South) Tower?

I recommend the North for sure. The south can be quite noisy, especially if there is a group breakfast setting up. The hotel is fabulous though, so you really can't go wrong.

folsom
Level Contributor
140 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fairmont Orchid Kohola (North) or Kona (South) Tower?

Thanks Mauna Kea and Hip, we are really looking forward to going there. We have previously stayed at the Mauna Lani and the Mauna Kea so I am curious to see how the Fairmont Orchard compares. MK, is early June (2-9) a busy time for on the Big Island in general?

folsom
Level Contributor
140 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fairmont Orchid Kohola (North) or Kona (South) Tower?

Tripadvisor hits home... I have to pass on this message. I called up the Fairmont Orchid just to make sure our reservation had been received, I proceeded to ask if I could request to get a room on an upper floor in the north tower, the reservationist said "oh, you must have stayed with us before". I laughed and said no, I have just been getting advice from people on Tripadvisor.com. Thanks again everyone.

Level Contributor
90 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fairmont Orchid Kohola (North) or Kona (South) Tower?

The top floors in the north tower I believe are the special floors with the added amenities. I forget what they call them, but they do cost extra. We stayed at the Orchid two months ago and also this past September. Both times we stayed in the south tower (our request) so we would be closer to the beach. We never found it noisy at all and our room both times was close to the west end of the south tower. The first time our view overlooked the Fairmont grounds (which are lovely) and the Beach House Restaurant (slight glimpse of ocean) and this past time we faced south. The view was of some beautiful new homes/condos, the pool for those homes and slight glimpse of the ocean. The only way to get a good view of the ocean in my opinion would be to have a room at the extreme end of either the north or south tower and it would have to be an ocean front facing room. There are not that many of those rooms. We have stayed at the Mauna Lani before and liked the Orchid a lot, so I think you will enjoy it. We are trying the Hapuna Beach next...in about 5 weeks from now!