We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the snorkel equipment at Mauna Lani decent?

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
43 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Is the snorkel equipment at Mauna Lani decent?

Is the snorkel equipment and Mauna Lani decent? Just debating if we should bring your own or just plan to use that.

13 replies to this topic
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,536 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the snorkel equipment at Mauna Lani decent?

We don't stay at the Mauna Lani, so can't help you there. But if you don't have room to pack your own equipment, you could always rent from Snorkel Bob's! They are very helpful, and if you have any issues with the fit at all, you can get the help you need, or an exchange, at any of their stores.

If you could even just bring own mask and snorkel, and rent fins, that would be my advice. We usually just do carry on though.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,266 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the snorkel equipment at Mauna Lani decent?

If you have a good mask and snorkel you like, bring it. Especially if it is prescription. If not, use theirs or rent from Snorkel Bobin the Shops a few minutes away.

We haul a whole bag of gear each trip but we try to be in the water almost every day.

Edited: 9:41 am, June 09, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
6,210 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the snorkel equipment at Mauna Lani decent?

I rented a prescription mask from Snorkel Bob's @ Mauna Lani.

They have lots of gear and are very friendly/helpful.

I returned it to the Kona location since I was down that way (Kealakekua Bay) at the end of the day.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kealakekua Bay
Kealakekua Bay
704 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
103 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the snorkel equipment at Mauna Lani decent?

We always use their equipment and never had a problem when we stayed there

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the snorkel equipment at Mauna Lani decent?

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by "the snorkel equipment at Mauna Lani"? I've not stayed at the hotel. Do they have gear they offer to guests? I'm a novice snorkeler and have rented a couple of times from Snorkel Bob's. I actually don't use the snorkel, but if I did & I had my own, I'd bring that & the mask from home. I'm not a germ-a-phobe, but the thought of renting mouthpieces is kinda gross, lol. The fins I'd rent in order to save luggage space.

~ Colleen

Edited: 3:03 pm, June 09, 2018
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,266 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the snorkel equipment at Mauna Lani decent?

Mauna Lani does have snorkel gear for use by guests, you get a couple of hours free as part of the amenity package. Maybe you pay for longer...idea is you use and return, not keep for a week or days. I have not used it but lots do.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,536 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the snorkel equipment at Mauna Lani decent?

If you are expected to return the equipment at the end of your use for the day, while staying at the Mauna Lani, then I would absolutely head to Snorkel Bob's to rent for the week. I would find it really annoying trying to get that "right" mask for my face, and fitted again, every time I wanted to head out to the beach.

Level Contributor
233 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the snorkel equipment at Mauna Lani decent?

Colleen, rental equipment is cleaned after each use! I don’t know the specifics, I hope someone can weigh in. I’ve rented many times and never had anything but obviously clean and well maintained snorkel gear from Snorkel Bobs on three islands. And good service as has been mentioned other places in more detail.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,110 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the snorkel equipment at Mauna Lani decent?

I would just rent what you need, it will,fit better you can take it wherever you want have it for the whole trip

starsparkles
Level Contributor
263 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the snorkel equipment at Mauna Lani decent?

I would bring your own mask and snorkel. fins are not necessary in the calm waters off either beach. the hassle with the mauna lani "free" equipment is that you must bring it back after your time is up and it's a long hot walk back to the beach stand from the beach where the snorkeling is. so you're left with the "should we leave the beach now?' quandry just because you need to get the equipment back. no exceptions. ugh. after a few years of that, we wised up, bought our own m & s. perfect fit. no watching the clock. the hotel used to have prescription masks which are great for those with poor eyesight. if you only intend to go in one time, to have a look, then go ahead and use the hotel's, it's fine for that.

Edited: 12:57 pm, June 11, 2018
Reply to: Is the snorkel equipment at Mauna Lani decent?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted