We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book Hilo instead of Volcano accommodation?

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
125 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Book Hilo instead of Volcano accommodation?

First of all, I want to say thank you to all the DEs and regular forum contributors. I’m sure you are putting in more hours than normal and it’s appreciated. And to the people who are living in this, I’m so sorry for the loss and sadness!

In November we have a night booked at a rental cottage in Volcano. I’ve seen a few people saying that VNP will possibly be closed indefinitely. Wondering if we should cancel our Volcano rental (fully refundable) and book a night in Hilo?

Looking at Grand Naniloa or Castle Hilo Hawaiian. There are 5 of us, so I’ve also considered booking a VRBO but the one night cleaning fee makes needing two rooms at a hotel cost very comparable.

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Castle Hilo Hawaiian...
2,002 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
8 replies to this topic
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,168 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Book Hilo instead of Volcano accommodation?

Can you link to the Volcano rental? What's the cancellation policy, e.g. what's the date beyond which you forego a full refund?

~ Colleen

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
125 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Book Hilo instead of Volcano accommodation?

I booked it on booking.com so actually, I haven’t even paid for it yet. It’s free to cancel anytime before Oct 4.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/us/liko-lehua-cottage.html?label=gen173nr-1DCAEoggJCAlhYSDNYBGgniAECmAExuAEHyAEN2AED6AEB-AECkgIBeagCAw;sid=f3d7c4299d8af4a06bf3bc57b1e47ead;swres=1

Edited: 1:11 pm, June 07, 2018
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,168 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Book Hilo instead of Volcano accommodation?

I wouldn't cancel yet. It's a fairly inexpensive place anyway, so it isn't as if you're risking a huge amount of money. You have a lot of time to see how things develop and make a decision closer to your actual vacation. Maybe book a couple of fully refundable rooms in Hilo for the same night, just to make sure your bases are covered.

~ Colleen

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
British Columbia...
Level Contributor
125 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Book Hilo instead of Volcano accommodation?

Thanks Colleen. Yes, I think I’ll book a refundable place in Hilo in addition. It helps to type things “out loud” sometimes. :)

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,096 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Book Hilo instead of Volcano accommodation?

Colleen’s comment of being aware of the cancelation policy is wise. Too many times people don’t actually take time to consider their options with a cancelation policy.

With so many hotels the “unrefundable” rates are so much cheaper, but the options become limited.

November is a long time away, but having options is always wise.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
125 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Book Hilo instead of Volcano accommodation?

Yes, that’s true! My first instinct is always to freak out, but keeping my options open is wise. It isn’t about the money, as Colleen mentioned the rate for the cabin is cheap. It’s more about wanting the best option available, before things get booked up! :) it’s not every day you go to Hawaii!

Thanks for the replies!

Edited: 12:37 am, June 08, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,096 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Book Hilo instead of Volcano accommodation?

I hope you have a wonderful vacation to paradise. The BI is special.

Remember, your safety and comfort are most important.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
125 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Book Hilo instead of Volcano accommodation?

Thank you so much! We are very excited.

Being safe, respectful and responsible visitors is important to us!

Reply to: Book Hilo instead of Volcano accommodation?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted