We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alamo Rental Car at Airport (STAY AWAY at all costs)

Newport Beach
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Alamo Rental Car at Airport (STAY AWAY at all costs)

No matter what kind of deal you can get, trust me it ain't worth it!!!!!

We arrived last sunday the 3rd and had to wait in a line that stretched out of their building into the parking lot. It took (no exageration here) 2 full hours from drop off to actually get on the road with our rental car.

AVOID them at all costs....understaffed, don't care about the customers, and just plain chaos...

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alamo Rental Car at Airport (STAY AWAY at all costs)

We always rent from Alamo, and have rented at this airport. Never had a problem. There must have been some underlying problem for the counter to get so backed up.

Not that this is what happened in your case, but...........

One time we were doing an inter-island flight....trying to get to Oahu from Kauai. (feb. of 04) and there was terrible weather. Our plane tried 3 times to land at the Honolulu airport...unsucessfully, and had to land on Maui instead(3 times) It was the scariest thing I had ever been through. When we finally got into Honolulu, it was a mess! All other flights from everywhere were off schedule. This made the car rental counters an absolute nightmare. But this wasn't due to their own fault.

Things happen, employees call in sick, etc.

I'm just saying that we have never had a problem with Alamo. They have great prices, and I have checked them all for each trip. Imagine what it would be like to have paid top dollar at Avis or Hertz and had the same problem! Top dollar won't guarantee anything either.

New York
Level Contributor
200 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alamo Rental Car at Airport (STAY AWAY at all costs)

I had the same experience with Alamo in Miami on 2 occasions. While on the bus from the airport on the second attempt to rent from Alamo, my husband and I decided to take a cab to the hotel instead. The car was part of a package and we figured it wasn't worth the time. I will never rent from Alamo again - and as often as I can I discourage others from doing the same.

indy
Level Contributor
109 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alamo Rental Car at Airport (STAY AWAY at all costs)

Do they have quicksilver at this airport, we are renting from them next month. We are members of the quicksilver program and I know they have terminals at the other two airports we are using but wasn't sure about this one.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alamo Rental Car at Airport (STAY AWAY at all costs)

Perhaps it's different on the Big Island, and it's good to know because I was going to rent from them because we had such a wonderful experience with them in Honolulu. The bus was on-time, quick in and out, a free upgrade to a new SUV. Hmm....

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alamo Rental Car at Airport (STAY AWAY at all costs)

We use Alamo every time we go to Hawaii and never have had a problem. They do sometimes get busier then other companies because they have the best prices. Join quicksilver for sure.

When we were on the Big Island I was surprised how quickly my husband picked up the car and I don't think they have quicksilver there.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,906 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alamo Rental Car at Airport (STAY AWAY at all costs)

We were with Alamo for both Maui and Big Island. My experience was nothing like BigIslandBarney's. There was about a 15-20 minute wait at BI, but the staff were friendly and courteous. Our family LOVED the SUV. I've also used Alamo in Florida - again had no problems with them, so sorry, BIB, I just can't agree with you.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alamo Rental Car at Airport (STAY AWAY at all costs)

Aloha......

Sorry.....but timing is everything......that was easter sunday...

I used to beat the line by sending my wife to get the bags while I jumped on the bus and beat the throng when they got theoir bags and all headed to the car rental place....185 of them....except I was back at the terminal, in 15 min...just as the bage came out..........Timing is the key.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Alamo Rental Car at Airport (STAY AWAY at all costs)

I concur with BigIslandBarney for Kona. Alamo on Kona is the worst !!!!!

I rented from Alamo on Maui and Oahu - no problem at all - very good service, quick in and out, etc.

Not so on Kona. And I picked up my car at Kona on a Thursday. The employees are SLOW, clueless, etc. Unless you get lucky and are renting a special vehicle that is not real popular - avoid this Alamo. I had to wait nearly an hour AFTER getting thru the checkin line - for them to clean a full size car for me.

it was bad enough that while waiting in the long line to check-in (with only 3 agents working) one decided it was time for a LONG break and took off - leaving 2 agents to deal with everyone.

then to wait while the hapless crew takes forever to clean cars. Unreal

And to show it wasn't the day - when I dropped off the car on Saturday - there were no spots to park it the return lines were so full of vehicles waiting to be cleaned that I had to check in outside the gate.

never again use Alamo of Kona

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Alamo Rental Car at Airport (STAY AWAY at all costs)

Oh - and they do not have quicksilver at the Kona location (even though they advertise they do). I am a quicksilver member and no luck with it.

I will repeat again - AVOID ALAMO ON KONA AT ALL COSTS

Minnesota
Level Contributor
392 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alamo Rental Car at Airport (STAY AWAY at all costs)

We've used Alamo a lot, but getting a car in Kona has usually been slow.

There were three people working the counter and only two ahead of me in line but it still took over twenty minutes.

Most places they ask if I want the extra insurance, I say no, pre pay on the gas?, "no", I sign on the dotted line and they tell me where the car is. At Kona it's like they are starting the paper work from scratch. The agent was very friendly, but also very busy, filling out forms, printing stuff,..... It probably took six or seven minutes at the counter.