We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at VNP - any opp to scuba nearby?

Tinton Falls, New...
Level Contributor
50 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Staying at VNP - any opp to scuba nearby?

Our family is visiting BI for first time in August 2018 primarily to see the Park, but my husband and 12 year old are getting PADI, so they are wondering if any opportunities to scuba in the area. If not by VNP and Hilo, then where on BI and is it realistic to do a day scuba excursion sometime in 4 days/3 nights we are there? Or we should focus on original plan of the Volcano sites and activities such as a helicopter tour or renting bicycles to see lava?

Also my friend visited BI last year and said swimming with the rays at night is a must but they stayed longer in the BI (1 week). I should also mention we are coming in from 8 days in Maui before we arrive in Hilo.

Thank you!

5 replies to this topic
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
108 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at VNP - any opp to scuba nearby?

I think you are there for far too short a period of time to do all of that. The Big Island is BIG. You'll be spending a lot of time in the car as it is... Take a minute to enjoy what you can do!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,853 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at VNP - any opp to scuba nearby?

I have not scuba'ed on the big island but you might want to look at how safe it is to dive then go over 5000 feet in elevation or vice versa. Pretty sure you need a break between the two.

If I had to guess your best bet would be out of Kona not Hilo.

Edited: 11:29 am, April 15, 2018
San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at VNP - any opp to scuba nearby?

Yes you are altitude limited after diving for at least 12 hrs and more depending on the altitude

They will learn that during PADI

That includes flying and going up altitude on land as well

Edited: 3:10 pm, April 15, 2018
Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at VNP - any opp to scuba nearby?

Yeah this isn’t going to work. Scuba, snorkeling, etc., is all on the west side and as mentioned you have altitude issues, plus just the time tor getting across the island. You either need to add more time or just stick to the east side for VNP. You could conceivably stay two nights on the east side and then drive across and spend one night on the west side for the Manta ray night SNORKEL, and then fly out of KOA. Honestly though, these 3-4 night plans attempting to cover activities on different sides don’t work well. The island is twice as large as all the others combined. I would take some nights from Maui if you want to do both west and east side activities on the much larger BI.

The diving on Maui is ok though, no Manta ray dive or snorkel, but you could just stick with the short time on the east side of the BI and do your diving on Maui.

Tinton Falls, New...
Level Contributor
50 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at VNP - any opp to scuba nearby?

Thank you everyone for the advice! It solidifies our plan to focus exploring Volcano National Park. We are excited about seeing the active Volcano at night and learning the history of the eruptions, contrasting what we learned from our trips to Mt. Etna and Mt. St. Helens.

Is Hilo or a town off the tourist track near the park that we can be with the locals and eat Hawaiian food?

Mahalo!

Reply to: Staying at VNP - any opp to scuba nearby?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted